Creatnine mystery?

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Pam

Creatnine mystery?

Post by Pam »

Hi everyone,
I went to my tx check up yesterday and a few things were questionable to say the least...my creatnine was 2.2 but no problems with the other numbers (BUN, hematocrit, etc.) and my BP was quite elevated at about 150/ 120! :? It has been running high for awhile. My doctor started me on Toprol XL (50 mgs) and wants me to have more frequent bloodwork for the next few months to see if the numbers change. My neph said that most dialysis and tx patients are on B/P meds-is there anyone else on Toprol? I have been having a very rapid heart rate (95 and up to 187 when I have an episode of extreme tachycardia) and can already feel the difference-it has gone down to about 86. The doctor said Toprol can help slow a fast heart rate along with lowering B/P. I am just wondering when is it better to take it-in the morning or evening? It's been so long since I have taken B/P meds and I forgot to ask at clinic! :roll: :oops:
Doc also said that my kidney is probably "wearing out" because of age-I'm going to be 45 but my kidney is about 53! :lol: I'm not worried because I've had a good run with it and it may last another 28 yrs...who knows? :wink: My doctor also said that if we can control the B/P, it will be less stress on the kidney...
I also have a tiny bit of sugar in my urine...I know some tx recipients who have developed steroid diabetes-should this be a concern? My doc didn't seem to be too worried at this time but I am sure he will keep tabs on it.
I just had a few questions and concerns about all of this and wanted to know if anyone else has had any problems with your creatnine being high but the other numbers being ok? I might have just been dehydrated so the doctor said to drink a lot of water (which I do anyway) and go in for another blood test tomorrow. I appreciate any opinions or suggestions you might have!
Pam
32 yr cadaver transplant recipient, now on peritoneal dialysis with the help of Audrey, my Homechoice machine... as of 4/3/09
Romans 8:28
nycpetit

Pam

Post by nycpetit »

I don't know how educated I am to answer (try) your post. YES, many tx patients are on bp pills. I was at first, but then they realized it had been just slightly above normal at the end before transplant, and so they tried taking me off of them, and it plummented to 90/60. So I clearly didn't need them. In my case, I think they were elevating my bp at times!

Steroids are the first thing I think of for you that could be causing the slight sugar in urine, and the elevated bp. Your age of course as well. Is there anyway they could get you off the steroids? Or do they still feel it's too much of a risk since your body is used to them? At my unit (Rogosin Insitute/Jack Dreyus Clinic, New York Cornel-Weill hospital) they do not use steroids at all. We have thymoglobin in hospital, on iv for five days. A little steroids in the iv. Then we take Prograf, and Cellcept for life. That is it.

Any chance they could get you off the steroids, and onto something else? At my clinic they are now taking some patients and getting them off tx drugs completely. Yes, even those who have had their kidneys for over 20 years. One man I know takes one Rappamune(not commonly used at this hospital or clinic, they've had some mixed results with it) in the am. and that is ALL. many others have been taken off ALL immunosuppressants years after the tx.

I just think it's possible the steroids could be causing some long term effects. It's worth asking the docs. As well, I think you take Imuran too, no? I think Prograf can be switched over, gradually. As for Cellcept, i don't know. It wouldn't be worth losing the organ, but adjustments are possible for some.

hugs
Natalie
Carolyn in CA

Post by Carolyn in CA »

University of California - at least in Northern California, uses the same protocol. Steroids by IV for the first couple of days, then Prograf and Cellcept for life.

Doing ok so far.....

Richard and Carolyn
Pam

Post by Pam »

Yes, I am on steroids-only 6 mgs a day but they have taken a toll with two knee replacements and cataracts removed...possibly a shoulder replacement in the near future not to mention the severe mood swings. :D :cry: :x I have heard of the "no steroid" protocal and I wish that it had been around when I first had my tx. I also feel fortunate that I have been able to go this long without having to take B/P meds but will accept them as a sometimes necessary part of having a transplant.
I think that the removal of all meds is a great idea for some people! I know of a few who have made this brave step and I say more power to them! I think that the idea behind it is that your body eventually "accepts" the organ as its own and will not reject it if the drugs are removed.
My doctor is going to keep tabs on me...having bloodwork, etc. done every two months instead of the regular six months. Hopefully the sugar in the urine will not go up. Yes, I am on Imuran also. Some of the people I know who have had their tx for 25+ years have been taken off of it (and placed on another drug regimen) and are now in a slow rejection although many are facing the failure of the kidney because of age.
I too do not think that the possible loss of the kidney would be worth it, but I would LOVE to stop taking the steroids!!!! I hope that in the near future they will do away with them entirely and maybe tx recipients would not have to face all these secondary health problems caused by this drug that some have described as a "wonderful but awful" medication!
I will seriously consider asking my doctor about your suggestions...thanks for taking the time to reply to me! :)
Pam
32 yr cadaver transplant recipient, now on peritoneal dialysis with the help of Audrey, my Homechoice machine... as of 4/3/09
Romans 8:28
redsox

Post by redsox »

CREATININE, I HAD A 24 HOUR CREATININE CLEARANCE TEST AND THE REPORT I RECEIVED FROM MY DOCTOR STATED 68 THE RANGE FOR A NORMAL CLEARANCE IS 75-115 ACCORDING TO THERE LAB. I REALIZE THIS IS NOT WITHIN THE NORMAL RANGE BUT WHAT PERCENTAGE OF FUNCTION DOES THIS NUMBER EQUATE TO. REDSOX :?:
redsox
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi redsox,

A very rough guide would be that the creatinine clearance is the percentage of kidney function, so 68 would be somewhere in the region of 60-70 at a guess but I'm sure someone will be able to give you a more accurate idea.

Mike
Hal

Post by Hal »

Redsox, its pretty hard to tell what percentage function you are at from that information.

Creatinine clearance may vary from test to test, it also depends on what you may have eaten and what exercise you may have done.

The percentage function from this also depends if you are a man or a woman and how much you weigh.

Hal.