Pain management advice

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Nula

Pain management advice

Post by Nula »

Hi everyone.
I went to see my urologist yesterday. He said that both of my Kidneys were badly damaged, he said that my right kidney was pretty much dead but was still functioning. And that the right kidney function had gone down by another 2% since November. I have quite alot of pain in my right kidney but the doctor said that he could not do anything to it and he could not remove it (unless the pain got unbearable) as there would be a very big chance that the left Kidney would fail completley.

He said that the choice of removal of the right kidney was up to me but he explained that if I have it removed then I will most likely end up on dialysis.
So I realy want to keep the pain in my right kidney as little as possible as I dont want to face dialysis any time soon. The doctor has reffered me to a pain doctor, but the waiting list is 5 Months.
So my question is, is there any way I can keep the pain of my right kidney down so that I dont have to have it removed just yet? I am taking pain killers but they arent realy doing much anymore. Can anyone suggest anything.

Thanks in advance
Nula :)
Art from Ontario

Pain

Post by Art from Ontario »

If this pain is truly comming from your Kidneys, I'll give odds that you
have been gradually cuttiing down on your fluid intake.

Are you dealing with a nephrologist or only the uro ?
What is your serum creatinine level ?
What are the electrolytes like ?

Do you have polycistic kidneys ?
Are you type I or Type II diabetic ?

What does "both of my kidneys were badly damaged" mean ?
50% function? 10% function? Both at the same level?
None of the terms you use are specific...
.... had gone done by another 2%
.......... does that make their functional capacity 66 % or 6% ?

It's a bit like posting the question:
'How long will it take me to get to London?

We'd have to ask!....
Where you are?
When are you leavin?
Which one? London, Ontario? or London England ?
Are you walking, taking the train or driving car ?
Can you read signs ?
..etc....etc.

..................Art
Nula

Post by Nula »

Sorry if I wasnt very specific. I will answer a few of your questions.
I have cut down on my fluid intake on a good day I am drinking 5 litres and on a bad day around 3 litres.
At the moment I am only seeing a uro but he has reffered me to see a kidney doctor. Im sorry but I do not know my creatinine levels or what the electrolytes are like.
I do not have polycistic kidneys or dibetes. I have chronic pyelonephritis.
When I asked the doctor how they were damaged he told me that they are badly scarred, and are constantley inflamed and and infected. I am on constant antibiotics to reduce the amount of infections.
The Function of my right kidney is 18% and the left is 45%.
Sorry again I wasnt very specific.

Thanks Nula
Elaine

Nula- pain management kidney pains

Post by Elaine »

Hello Nula hav seen u posts regarding u kidney pains and failure must be difficuilt time for u :( Presume u being cared for by urologist and maybe nephrologist?? or renal Drs. As u indicated although u have quite a loss of kidney function i can appreciate Drs concerns and reluctance to remove kidney/s as u indicated u would then have to go onto dialysis.

My daughter has 5% kidney function and has been on peritoneal dialysis past 16 mnths she is 16yrs old althogh hers is for fsgs & nephrotic syndrome. We ahve just seen urologist again to arrange to have both her kidneys removed laprascopically although this is a last resort so she can try get put back on transplant waiting list as her kidneys are pouring out albumin.She too has lots of kidney pain and is on codeine/paracetamol regularly although not very effective at moment. :cry: I do hope that u can discuss with Drs adequate pain control to try make u more comfortable. 5 mnths is not acceptable to have to wait and your GP or Urologist etc should be considering this for you.

Good luck 2 u and hope that Drs can settle down infections in u kidneys or at least salvage wot remaining kidney function u have left.

best wishe Elaine UK :wink:
Art from Ontario

pain management

Post by Art from Ontario »

Dear Nula:

As you have an identifiable cause for your esrf, a nephrologist
is the doctor to manage your symptoms in the best manner.

A uroologist is a 'plumber", he deals with the mechanics of
your body's liquid waste disposal system.

He does not get involved with pain or desease management.
That is why you have not had much help with your pain.

I am curious as to how your uro got such precise kidney function
numbers... Did you have an IVP (Intra Venous Pylogram) done ?

You can try to get your appointment with the neph moved up
if possible.

...good luck
Nula

Post by Nula »

Thank you for your replies, yes art I have had 2 IVP tests. I will try to bring my appointment forward.
Thanks again.