Big week ahead

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

George

Big week ahead

Post by George »

Just thought I would tell all about the next coming week for me.

Firstly, my dialysis has been up and down for the last few weeks, I have had a few more burst veins. :cry:

This weekend I am going to Blackpool to take my brother out for a meal. Nothing strange in that, but you see he is 50 today and hopefully will be my donor. (providing he is a match) I mean I don't want him to do anything silly and abuse it do I? :wink: Then on Monday I am having my first consultation with the tx surgeon. I hope my tests went ok and there is no problems, but yesterday on dialysis I was given new medication that slightly alarmed me. It was for cholestrol, my levels have always been low, why the sudden change. I do not yet know the level, but I will find out.
Anyway, just wish me luck.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi george,

Good luck I hope your appointment goes well and your brother proves to be a match. I have been on Atorvastatin for years, way before rena;l failure seemed to be a possibility and up until my recent hernia op my cholestrol levels have been low but they had shot up at the blood test when I was in hospital for reasons I'm not sure of. I have a clinic appointment today so maybe it was just a blip but i should find out later.

Anyway I hope it all gets sorted out, cholestrol is fairly controllable with statins so a pill a day should keep it under control.

Best Wishes

Mike
Julie

Good Luck

Post by Julie »

Hi George,

I have crossed my fingers, my toes and my eyes crossed :shock: for you in the hope that your brother is a match.

As Mike says, I wouldn't worry too much about the cholesterol thing - the statins are very good. Often with kidney failure, the cholesterol goes up because the albumin (protein in the blood) drops because you are losing protein in your urine. So the liver realises that there isn't enough albumin in the blood as there should be and so it makes some of its own - in the form of cholesterol. Doh!!! :wink:

Let us know how everything goes won't you.

And love to Kath too.

Lots of love,
Julie
x
Elaine

hiya George & good luck ;)

Post by Elaine »

Hiya George hope all goes well for u been thinking bout u did post p message to u recently :D

Rach has been on drugs for her cholesterol for several years as high cholesterol is linked with kidney failure sometimes as kidney throws off fatty deposits. :shock: cholesterol lowering drugs help the heart as kidney failure can lead onto heart problems etc. Rachael also takes omega 3 fish oil capsules to help reduce cholesterol and keep heart healthy.

She tried most of statin drugs but sadly didnt suit her so now takes Ezitimbie 10mg 1 daily which is one of the newest tablets to reduce choleserol. ;)

best wishes 2 u & u family Elaine & Rach ;) xxxxx
Sueleic

Post by Sueleic »

:D
Hi George
What a wonderful post to read in the New Year!
I sure hope your brother is a match
I will be thinking of you and sending my best wishes to you
I have no doubt you will keep us all informed
Take care as always
Sue
xx :D :) :lol:
Hal

Post by Hal »

Good luck George. I hope everything goes well with your brother and he is indeed a match,

Hal.