what a hoo-haa to get an order set up

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

amanda in CA

what a hoo-haa to get an order set up

Post by amanda in CA »

I am a 'lucky' patient of Da Vita in the US. During the week my extraneal (icodextrin) (the low sugar one) ran out (my fault). I have had to modify my dialysis to account for this and have been suffering from low blood pressure/dizziness since then (which may or may not be due to the change of fluids). In fact, this morning I felt all dizzy, I lost all co-ordination in my muscles (they felt all wired and twitcy), my legs buckled and I ended up on the floor, luckily unhurt. Anyway, it turns out that I have no current prescription with Baxter so I am unable to order it. to get this done there is some convoluted and torturous ordering system at Da vita which delays an authorisation and prescription being sent out. Had enough this morning and decided to take it to corporate level myself. The upshot of it is that it is all now set up and will be delivered before Christmas. I very much doubt that it would have been had I not done this. Unfortunately to get a resolution I had to get quite confrontational and basically give them no leeway for not doing it. It's only taken all morning to get this sorted out. Getting orders in the UK was just so much easier!!!!! I have my suspicions as to why it is so difficult to get the icodextrin prescribed but I probably shouldn't voice it on here.