DDA

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

bluemoon

DDA

Post by bluemoon »

Hello,

Does anyone know if having a kidney transplant counts as a `disability` under the DDA?

I ask this because I am job hunting and not sure what to put on the applications forms about any disabilities.

Thanks.
Jim
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

Hmm always a tricky one.. not automatically unless you have some co-disability. (you could argue you have ESRF being treated with a transplant as renal replacement therapy, but thats a bit complicated for most employers)

It only counts against them IF you can prove they've discriminated against you in some way.
That said it counts FOR them if they can say, "Hey, we employ a guy with a transplant, and we can count him under the 'disabled, chronic med condition, etc other" section of our employee stats..

All you need to tell them on the form is the truth:
that you've had a kidney transplant. That covers you from an insurance point of view (eg you were not withholding the fact)

Any other information they can ask, you can give them as you feel required etc. otherwise it 'shouldn't' make a difference. Its also to do with how YOU feel it affects (or NOT) your ability to do the job.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/ should have some info on the DDA & you ould always try the NKF Helpline.. see if they have anything..:
0845 601 02 09

:)
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
amanda in CA

DDA

Post by amanda in CA »

I changed career after my transplant. I pretty much had an interview for every application that I made. Unless you are in the job market where they only accept application forms, most employers will interview on receipt of a C.V. (resume). This was the case with the majority of jobs that I applied for and health status is not something that you put onto a CV anyway. If I got through the interview there generally seems to be a request for health information and at that stage I was completely honest, but obviously with a positive slant. This did not seem to ever be an issue. I subsequently got a job with the civil service where I did need to fill out an application form and all it meant was that I had a provisional job offer until I had been cleared medically. I have never registered as disabled as I never considered that I was at the time of having a functioning transplant. Now that I am on dialysis, were I looking for work I would probably try to register as disabled for the sake of anti-discrimination protection, as I think that a prospective employer would look less favourably on employing someone on dialysis than with a transplant. hope my view helps, Good luck, Amanda
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

Aaah but this isn't the same as being 'registered' disabled,

Its 'whats perceived as a disability under the DDA for employment purposes'.. And from what I can tell its a very grey area..

Let us know how you get on Bluemoon.

I agree with Amanda tho you usually don't need to put anything down until it comes to paperwork/interviews.
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
Hal

Post by Hal »

I was told that you can no longer be "registered disabled" in the UK (by my local disabled people's association) ?

Obviously you can get a disabled parking badge and Disability Living Allowance etc, but you can't just be registered.

I asked because I also wanted to know what to tell employers (as a dialysis patient). They didn't really know and suggested I tell the employer straight off from interview ... but this wasn't from experience.

Hal.
amanda in CA

DDA

Post by amanda in CA »

Further to what I put yesterday, most people have limited knowledge about transplants, they think that once you have one you're fine. Obviously this can be a double-edged sword but in the case of applying for jobs when the time comes to mention that you have a transplant I would really suggest that you make a point of emphasising the positive. Amanda
bluemoon

Post by bluemoon »

Just to let you all know I had my occupational health screen for my new job. I was in for less than five minutes and the Doctor said he saw no problems at work, so no restrictions on working and I do not come under the DDA.

Saying that I do work for the NHS so they should be good at these things :wink:
Jim
George

Post by George »

Jman is right in saying that there is no longer a disabled register. However the grey area is not so grey. I have had to research this because of problems with my employers. In law to be 'classed as disabled' you only have to show that you cannot preform tasks that could reasonably be done by some one of your age. For example, if you are like me 46 :oops: and you get short of breath say walking 100 meters or slight inclines, but thre average person of your age could manage without difficulty, you are classed as having a disability. I was told this by my occupational health doctor, who is employed by the council, but seems to be fighting my cause. He wrote to my employer and said with the effects of renal failure Mr Asquith would no doubtedly suffer lack of stanimar and tire very quickly and is therefore covered by the DDA and as such should be paid if his dialysis sessions had to take place during his normal work hours. To fail to do so would clearly be in breach of his rights.