Am I unreasonable?

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

debbie

Am I unreasonable?

Post by debbie »

I had my tx in Sept 04. I have just found out that a member of my husband's family was part of the tx co-ordination team. Apparently she has given a copy of my file from the tx to his auntie to bring down to me. I am really steaming about this and cannot believe that someone in that postition could do such a thing. I don't know exactly what it contains nor do I want to know. Any advice anyone please..... his family can't see what my problem is.
Bruce

Am I Unreasonable?

Post by Bruce »

In the U.S. there is a federal law which prohibits the release of medical records to anyone (except parents, legal guardians, etc.) without signed permission from the patient. Even the police, government and the almighty medical insurance companies need permission or a court order. Although it sometimes gets in the way of doing ordinary business, it probably is a good idea. Apparently the U.K. has no such law. --Bruce
Andy

Post by Andy »

You are not unreasonable at all. There is no way that that person should copy the file and certainly not pass it on to another member of your family to pass to you. :o :o
Perhaps it would be worth contacting your Renal team (nurse wise) in hte hospital and see what they have to say.
We are the way we are, if we werent, I wouldnt be me and you wouldnt be you!

www.lltgl.org.uk
George

Post by George »

There are several laws in the uk that prohibit this.
The DATA Protection Act would have been clearly broken in this situation, as long as the aunt had no connection to the tx dept, even then she can only have access if it is needed for her duties. In addition there is the patient confidentiallty that all organisations must adhere to.
debbie

Post by debbie »

Thanks for the replies. I am in clinic on Thurs and may talk to my co-ordinator about this without mentioning names. I am wondering if the person involved thinks she is doing the right thing. I know as much as possible about my renal failure etc but this is the one area I'd rather be ignorant of. Physically I have recovered from the tx well but I still find it hard emotionally, especially with xmas and new year. Having my own child and knowing my donor was young with young children makes it difficult, thinking of how the donor's family are coping without him.
I know if I mention names she will probably lose her job over this and the family rows that will cause are not worth it. I wish people would think more carefully about their actions. :(
wing

Post by wing »

Hi Debbie.
She most certainly would loose her job if this were reported as it is a gross breach of patient confidentiality and would be treated as such by her employers were they to be made aware of it.
She must surely know this, as it is drummed in to staff when they seek employment with the NHS.
Many Hospital trusts have policies around members of staff being involved with a friend/relatives care - most encourage staff to avoid being in that position, where possible, in order to protect both the patient and the staff member. It can get very messy as some people have difficulty differentiating the personal from the professional.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi,

I'd have to say I'd been absolutely furious If i was in your position and I think I would have difficulty not bringing the matter to attention of the hospital management. I know a lot of people have access to your medical information but this is completely unacceptable in my opinion!

That said I'd be careful how you proceed if you dont want to cause a major disagreement..

Mike
debbie

Post by debbie »

I have not discussed this with any members of hubby's family and told hubby to let them know that I don't want to talk about it but just to destroy this file, never mention it and I will forget it was ever mentioned. However inside I am still steaming. I had a clinic appt today and it was on tip of my tongue to say something. I did say to hubby that in her situation I would have told someone that I knew the recipient and therefore should not involved but still no-one can see.... well apart from you lot :) Thanks for the support, it is appreciated.
Michele in TN

Post by Michele in TN »

Here in the US that is a violation of HIPPA and it is punishable with steep fines and jail time. Sorry that happened to you.
Michele, 30
Mom to Emily, 11
Wife to Chris
Transplanted 07/29/04
Creatinine 0.9 2/07
stopping prednisone due to severe renal osteodystrophy 11/06