BMI for ok of transplant

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Michelle in Seaside

BMI for ok of transplant

Post by Michelle in Seaside »

Greetings, I was wondering what is the maxium BMI that was acceptable of other people undergoing transplants. My doctor has told me three different things?

1) At my first transplant appt, that my weight was fine

2) A written summary of the appointment where he said I needed to lose 33 lbs to get down to a weight of 187

3) That I now need to reduce my weight to 180

The only thing holding up my transplant is the weight factor. I have a compatible son that is ready to donate. I have done cardiac test, (passed with flying colors), no diabetes, mammogram, EKG,bood tests, chest xray...everything except the dental and that can be quickly done. Besides having kidney disease, I do not have any other medical problems.

So, I'd like to get an idea of the ranges that allowed in BMI. I have already found research on obese patients and presented that research to my dr, but he wasn't budging-- except for giving me confusing information about the required weightloss every time I contact with him

Michelle in Seaside <--------- has perfected a new color--"Pissed, forever Pissed"
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

Sorry to hear about your doctors chopping & changing (something to note, consultations & phonecalls mean jack unless recorded ;), if in doubt, fax & request a written confirmation.

All that said there's no doubt that the healthier you are before an operation (ANY operation) the better your chances of speedy recovery.

I don't know about BMI assements in any detail but this info may be on the web?

BMI is a rough guide to weight/bodyfat ratio ( as far as I know), but if your doc thinks losing some is a good idea, then it might be an idea to see perhaps a dietician & get some advice on exercise. Sounds like you are in pretty good shape otherwise, so why not minimise the risks of complications :D

Good luck with the transplant :D
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
Michelle in Seaside

BMI

Post by Michelle in Seaside »

Thanks for the encouragement, JMan (smile)

Actually, I did have a written summary. It differed from what they originally told me during my consultation. Now it seems that they aren't willing to uphold the written summary they sent me. My health has not changed and I have been losing weight.-- 24 lbs, thus far.

I believe in being in the best physical state you can before any surgery. However, I don't qualify for Medicare and my dialysis center is out -of-network and if I spend much more time on dialysis my family will be completely destitute. More importantly, the BMI is set at an arbritrary point and doesn't take into account other important factors I already mentioned

I do diet and exercise. I exercise more than most people I know. Hey, how many "well" people have the stamina to be in a hiphop dance group? Or do strength training at least three times a week. Or fit in walks, bellydancing and an ocassional jog? Or lug around museum collections from place to place? And really, dieting is easy enough to track with all the online tools, and I'm pretty disciplined. I'm doing my part-- the transplant team is the one that is flipflopping on the weight issue

But, I guess this will all be moot,soon-- I have contacted another transplant service and they seem prepared to work with me. I hope it works out because I need to finish my Master's Degree, graduate my son from our homeschool, take care of elderly in-laws... get on with the vibrant life I'm used to

Thanks for enduring my rant...

Michelle

Michelle
JMan wrote:Sorry to hear about your doctors chopping & changing (something to note, consultations & phonecalls mean jack unless recorded ;), if in doubt, fax & request a written confirmation.

BMI is a rough guide to weight/bodyfat ratio ( as far as I know), but if your doc thinks losing some is a good idea, then it might be an idea to see perhaps a dietician & get some advice on exercise. Sounds like you are in pretty good shape otherwise, so why not minimise the risks of complications :D

Good luck with the transplant :D
: