I need some advices...

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Todar

I need some advices...

Post by Todar »

Hello my name is Todar. I am from Belarus.
In May, 2004 I had some tests (Ultrasounds, Urography(x-ray of kidneys), and SAF). And I was told that I have a nephraptosis of the right kidney (2 degree), The left kidney does not exist... I have no ideas what to do... What can happen to me... Is there anyone who had the same problems? I had no surgey. I just was born this way, but found out only 7-8 months ago.
If somebody can, please, give me some advices. My boss is an american and he doesn't trust our doctors. I would like to hear anything from English speking people. What I can do (I mean what's nessesary to do) and what I cannot (should not) to do?
Please, I relly need to know.
Thank you.
Todar
Cheryl in CT

Nephroptosis?

Post by Cheryl in CT »

Hi, Todar, and welcome!

Nephraptosis is not a term with which I am familiar... Could you perhaps mean nephroptosis? If so, what I believe you're asking about here is what's often called a "floating kidney" - also known by several other names, including nephroptosis, nephroptosia, renal ptosis, renal descensus, and renal prolapse. A situation that occurs about 10x more often in women than in men, this condition involves excessive mobility of the kidney, allowing it to "float" away from its normal position.

From what I've read, it seems that this condition may be attributed to some deficiency within the internal body structure that usually supports the kidney. Normally, the kidneys are held in place in the upper lumbar area by fibrous bands, blood vessels, and the fat that generally surrounds them.

Some doctors believe that any condition that results in extreme weight loss can lead to nephroptosis. (Thus, anorexia, for instance, is sometimes diagnosed as a significant cause of neproptosis.)

Various other conditions have also been shown to result in the same problem, including: pregnancy, childbirth, and anything that might cause enlargement of the kidneys, such as tumors, kidney stones, and the like.

Nephroptosis may exist without showing any symptoms whatsoever. In fact, some sources indicate that 20-25% of all women may have some degree of renal prolapse. (I would guess that most of them aren't aware of it, either.) People who do experience symptoms usually feel some vague abdominal discomfort and possibly loin pain.

When nephrotosis leads to problems, the problems are usually the result of an obstruction of some kind - most often, either kinking of the ureter or tension on the blood vessels. Serious complications can result when obstructions occur, including everything from renal colick (acute pain) to pyelitis (inflammation of the renal pelvis) to hydronephrosis (collection of urine in the renal pelvis).

The actual location of the kidney is not as important as how it continues to function. If the kidney functions well and does not create problems where it is, a doctor may decide to simply monitor the situation and do nothing for the time being. If the kidney's location is causing problems, tho, there are treatments available. Surgery is generally the last option, unless the condition is extremely serious. (Depending on the circumstances, either traditional "open" surgery or laparoscopic surgery may be used to "move" a floating kidney back where it "belongs".)

Getting an ultrasound undoubtedly will bring you some peace of mind in all of this. That, and if necessary, a few other tests should show whether or not anything needs to be done right now. If everything is "working right" there may be no need to do anything at all.

Having just one kidney, too, is not THAT unusual. Many people, from birth, "naturally" have only one, and most of those people don't even know it.... (Many a post-mortum has shown that people who've lived a long, full life have, since birth, had only one kidney). Those of us who've had a transplant only have the one working kidney (the transplant), and if we've received live donor transplants, our donors, too, are working on only one... The reality of having only one kidney is not necessarily a problem - providing that it WORKS!

Today, neither nephrotosis nor having only one kidney need be a major problem. As long as you can ascertain that the one kidney you DO have is working well, you should be okay. I can understand your American boss having concerns - I, too, am American and have that "Americans are superior in most medical issues" bias.... Nonetheless, if your doctors there are seeing no problems with your nephrotosis (if that indeed is what we're talking about here), things may very well be okay... Do you by chance have access to test results, such as creatinine levels, creatinine clearance, etc? THOSE are the types of tests that will indicate how things are REALLY doing with your kidney function... Just having "only one" kidney and having a "floating kidney" are not, in & of themselves, enough to say whether or not you might have a problem...

Here's wishing you the very best and hoping that all really is going well for you. Please post again, and if your doctors can provide you with a bit more information, I know that others will also respond to your inquiry.

all the best,
Cheryl (in Connecticut, USA)
Todar

Yes it is

Post by Todar »

Yes we are talking about the same thing, I have a nefroptosis of the second degree (I just made a little mistake, it's just hard to explain everything in English).
What I feel it's just an 'inconvenience' back there. I just have no idea what I can do or I can't (should not). I talk to one urologist/nephrologist professor online (he is from Russia) He said in my situation I have to go to a good professional and he adviced me two professors here in Belarus, but I have no idea how to find them. I just would like to know. Because, I have a chance to work mentaly using my mind, but not physicaly... That is a problem with my 'boss'. I've heard that it is better not to lift up lot's of weight and try to take care of it... Though I don't know... I want to try to get to one of the best hospitals here for observing, maybe they will do something and then explain me.
Thank you for the reply and for welcoming me, Cheryl. If you have something to add. Please, I would gladly recieve any information about it.
Todar