High blood pressure/swelling after transplant????

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Marziac

High blood pressure/swelling after transplant????

Post by Marziac »

Hello everyone,
you may remember me posting about my dad who had a transplant in mid-november. Well, he's had a rough time with the new kidney, lots of ups and downs, it took a long time to start working but he was finally discharged from the hospital last week with things being pretty good. Since then, he has had extremely high blood pressure (180/100, 170/90) and swelling of his ankles. He went back for a check up this morning and they put him back on lasix and some blood pressure pills. Also his creatinine was up a couple of points. He is feeling very discouraged and the doctors haven't really explained why this is happening or what it means. Any ideas?
Thanks for any info, as always and happy new year!
Marzia
SteveUK

Post by SteveUK »

Hi Marzia

May I ask what immunosuppressants your Dad takes? I only ask because 1 or 2 of them can cause high blood pressure and swelling, but this can ease once drug dosages are reduced. Unfortunately, this is the downside of transplantation, the side effects from the medication you take.

Take care and best wishes to your Dad :)

Steve
:)
debbie

high bp

Post by debbie »

Hi,
I agree with Steve... The drs took me off all my bp medication as soon as I had my tx but by day 5 I was back on high doses of doxazosin and enalapril, however as my ciclosporin has decreased so have my bp meds. The drs originally tried me on frusemide IV but that quickly dehydrated me even though I was drinking 5L+ daily although it did shift the fluid I had on my chest. With regards to his creatinine, if the drs are not too concerned then there probably isn't a problem. My creatinine fluctuated by around +/- 50 for first 6 weeks and now hovers around 100 (3 months later!) It's still early days and many medication changes have still got to be made. Lets hope things get easier for him now :D
Take care
Debbie
R30

Post by R30 »

Hello Marziac
I had my tx on 25 October and since then I get constant fluid retention which pushes my blood pressure up a bit. I have to take two Furosemide/Frusid every day otherwise I can put on a kilo and a half in 24 hrs.
The Drs have not explained to me why this happens, but I believe that some people do continue to take dieuretics after their tx, even though their kidney is functioning well.
My Consultant has patients who have had a tx who are on 20 dieuretics a day so I guess your dad and myself are not doing too badly!
Please keep us all posted as to his progress.
Cheers
Ruth
Carolyn in CA

Post by Carolyn in CA »

Richard had his transplant on October 31 and swelled up horribly! When they put him on 2 Lasix (furosemide) per day plus one Zaroxlyn, his creatine went up because he got too dry. BUT it DID take over 7 kilos off! Now if he takes one Lasix per day (40 mg), but if he gets over a certain weight he takes one extra per day until he gets under that weight again. Everytime he takes extra, the creatinine creaps. Guess that's just one of the things we deal with from now on.

Hope everything stabilizes soon.

Richard and Carolyn
Marziac

Post by Marziac »

Thank you all for your replies. I will pass the info on to my dad. I think they took him off the Lasix too soon, hopefully he'll do better now that he started back on it

thanks again

Marzia