Hernia Op

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Mike

Hernia Op

Post by Mike »

Hi Everyone,

I've got to go into hospital tomorrow morning as I have to have a hernia op :( hopefully i'll be out in time for new year as I've been told it's a relatively minor procedure?? I am concerned though as I was only supposed to be in for 1 day for my PD tube op and I ended up being there for 4 days.

Also I am being taken off PD for a few days and I know my phosphates are going to be high as I haven't been able to resist ther temptations over christmas and I'm worried that they may want to put me on Hemo! 1 catheter is more than enough for me and I haven't had my fistula op yet so I really dont want a line in my neck.

Has anyone else here had a hernia op? I believe its fairly common with PD and its giving me a lot of pain so I really want it sorted quickly. What can i expect with the op and recovery??

Any info would be appreciated and hope you all have a happy and healthy 2005

Mike
Elaine

Good Luck Mike ;)

Post by Elaine »

Awww Sorry 2 hear u gotta have another op Mike.
From experience every1 varies soo much post-op hernia etc from some leaping around the bed few hours after their op to others in lotta agony :(.
Just ensure u ask for adequate analgesia as/if u need etc :shock:

Prob may have temporary haemo line in for few days until hernia op etc settles - be more comfortable etc on u abdomen than trying do p/d straight away.Maybe give u insite into how u respond to haemo as my daughter had start as emergency whilst had peritonitis and found that it actually 'suited' her better and been on haemo 6mnths now.:D

:D Good luck 2 u and all very best 2 u keep us posted;)

bye for now Elaine :D
Rachel in NY

Post by Rachel in NY »

Like Elaine said, it varies GREATLY. While I havent experienced a hernia op myself (thank goodness...), I know many people that had it. I know those that were home same day, and walking around that night, going out the next night. I know someone who was in bed for a few days. I would 'assume' it depends on your pain tolerence/level, but there's probably more to it than that. Everyone is built differnetly, and everyone experiences things differnetly.

Hope yours is the quick kind, and that you're up and about in a flash!

Good luck...

Rachel
Image Image

"When life keeps giving you lemons, get to work and make a tall frosted pitcher of icy cold lemonade."
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi,

Thanks for the info Elaine and Rachel, I underestimated the pain from my tube op so I am much more prepared for any pain this time. I dont think it will be that bad as I assume it is just a case of cutting me open and stitching the hernia up? no cutting through muscle or anything like for the PD tube.

I hope to be out tomorrow as I am having the op tomorrow morning and going in this morning. Hopefully I'll not have to do Hemo and be back on PD in a couple of days.

Hope you both have a good new year

Cheers

Mike
Elaine

Hernia op

Post by Elaine »

Hiya Mike - depending where hernia is decides if usually have to cut through muscle etc so can be painful. My hubby had day case hernia op but was rough for weeks & weeks but he is often unlucky with ops etc :( :shock:

Anyhow fingers crossed good luck keep in touch ;)

best wishes Elaine :D
amanda in CA

hernia op

Post by amanda in CA »

I developed an umbilical hernia a little while after starting PD. Thankfully it was only a little one, but I decided that it was better getting it sorted as it wasn't going to go away and might only get worse. The pain wasn't too bad, not as bad as when I had the catheter inserted. Post op I had to stop PD for about 36 hours and then start again but with short dwells and limited volumes gradually increasing it over the following week, so it's not cast in stone that you will have to do haemo. via a neck-line. Any chance of delaying if your phosphate is too high from a little Christmas over-indulgence?

When it had all healed, my belly button looked better then it ever had, it had always had a little bit sticking out which has now gone and I was told that it happens because of the presence of a congenital defect, and the hernia pops out because of increased intra-abdominal pressure from the presence of the dialysis fluid.

Amanda
Hal

Post by Hal »

Hi Mike,

I hope you have been in for your op and are out by now.

I had a hernia op at the same time I had my PD tube put in for a small umbilical hernia - I couldn't even see it myself.

It took a while for the area to heal and I was sore for a good few days. I waited 3 weeks before having PD, but that was to wait for the PD tube to heal too.

Good luck,

Hal.