Whoops on phosphate

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

amanda in CA

Whoops on phosphate

Post by amanda in CA »

Hi, went to see my neph. the other day to be told that my phosphate levels and parathyroid hormone levels had sky-rocketed. Couldn't understand why as I've been more diligent than usual taking my binders. Thought and thought (a painful process!) and suddenly realised that it was probably all the tea that I have been drinking. I'm not usually a big tea drinker but have suddenly got a real liking for it. I was using Coffee Mate half-and-half not realising that it was made from milk and cream so that probably explains it. Now I've got to take a short spell of alucaps as 'rescue therapy' so now I will probably lose a few brain cells in the process. I think that I've learned a good lesson hear to read the ingredients box even when I think that something is relatively ok. Amanda