Did any one else complete the Questionnaire from Emmala?

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Andy

Did any one else complete the Questionnaire from Emmala?

Post by Andy »

Did any one complete the Questionnaire from Emmala?

http://kidneypatientguide.org.uk/newBB/ ... ight=#3015

Well I have recieved it via email and I was happy to complete it at first but after reading the questionnaire i am not so sure.

There was a bit about kidney disease and then a question each on Athsma, Epliepsy, Haemophilia, and diabetes and asking how happy you would be or how unhappy you would be and how this would affect your different parts of life. This did not seem so bad although I was wondering how I could my self in some one elses shoes to know how that feels.

One question was, asking about ths risks you would take to be cured of kidney disease.

"imagine you had to live with kidney disease for the remainder of your life but then heard about a new medical procedure with two possible out comes: a 5% chance of being cured of kidney disease and living a healthy life or a 95% chance of immediate death. Would you take teh procedure or chose to live with kidney disease?" Then from a drop down box.. I'd take the procedure or i'd live with kidney disease.

Well firstly.. "imagine you had to live with kidney disease for the remainder of you life"... umm well.... we do Dont we?

but any how that question was ok but then the following question was
" Imagine you didnt have kidney failure but had had haemophillia..." and then the same as the question above. Also questionned about Athsma, Epilepsy and diabetes.

Is it just me or is this questionnaire a bit unethical. How can she ask us to judge it in some one else shoes?

Or am I completely wrong....?

Let me know what you think

Cheers
Andy
We are the way we are, if we werent, I wouldnt be me and you wouldnt be you!

www.lltgl.org.uk
nycpetit

thoughts

Post by nycpetit »

I think it sounds rather, hmm. scattered and not well put together. This is more like some sort of psychological survey, not anything from which you get can any data, surely? I mean, it's all hypothetical questions as in "what if" and not anything that pertains to a fact anyone of us could give.

And yes, we do live with kidney disease for life. Whether on dialysis, pre-dialysis, or transplant. I think this person needs to do some research on kidney disease facts before asking hypothetical questions.

as has been said, "just the facts m'am."
:lol:

I think that it's not so much that it is unethical (although I am sorry but I already forget what the purpose of her questionaire was, but it's just questions from which nothing can be garnered or gathered.
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

Emma is doing a psychological study so yes, the Q's are based around that.

I responded to the 'imagine you had' ones with the point that I cannot, as I have not.

Seemed a fair answer to me:D

J