Thanks! Plus - Personal Question

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Vikki

Thanks! Plus - Personal Question

Post by Vikki »

Hi people,
Mike and Bruce thanks for the advice, I'm still leaning towards PD from what you have both said. I'm holding out a strong hope for getting set up to do it overnight and I'm quite determined so I'll get my way ;) (hopefully!) I'm so glad that there are so many other people out there with the same problem - it's a real boost. Does anyone out there find that using PD causes problems with their love life? (you know what I mean ;) ) My fiance is amazingl supportive but the thought of this tube being in the way worries me a bit. Is it a problem?
Thanks people,
:)
Even with your eyes closed, may you see the light at the end of the tunnel

Bruce

love life

Post by Bruce »

Mike-

Tape the tube to your belly and forget about it. If you want, there are belts available to hold the catheter in place. Go for it! --Bruce
Mike

Post by Mike »

errr...love life? I should be so lucky :wink:

Just thought I should say that if you choose PD you would probably be on the 4 or 5 exchanges a day for the first couple of months anyway as you would have to have some tests to make sure you are suitable for APD. I had mine about 2 weeks ago and I can do APD but where I am there is a waiting list of about 2 months to get the machine.

If you choose HD the people I know on it prefer it so whatever you choose there are advantages and disadvantages of each type.

good luck anyway.

mike :D
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt ... 026d95943c

may be of use.

Love life.. errrrr hehe...

No comment;) Technically I'm single:D
:p
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
Hal

Post by Hal »

Hi Vikki,

There is no need for any problems with your love life, even if connected to the machine at the time. The tube can always be taped out of the way, in fact I have it taped all of the time anyway to support it.

Just also to comment on what Mike said about doing 4 or 5 manual bags a day before being able to do it overnight with the machine - this all depends on your hospital's policy and your personal situation. My hospital put me on APD overnight straight away, I didn't have to do the manual exchanges.

Good luck,

Hal.