Housing List

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Mike

Housing List

Post by Mike »

Hi All,

Does anyone here have any experience with applying for council / Housing Association housing? I have just applied to the 3 local ones and I have got a reply back from the first one which said I have been given a low number of points and am unlikely to be housed!!

I can't understand how I could be given such a low number of points as my current situation is that I am living at my parentts and I sleep, dialyse and store my equipment all in the same room and have very little space!!

I dont hold out much hope for the other two and it seems to me I would be much better off if I gave up work I can't afford to rent a place large enough privately anyway and could apply for benefits if I wasn't working!!

it just doesn't feel fair

mike :(
Rik

Post by Rik »

claiming asylum seems to work well Mike ... have you thought of that??
or was it insanity I tried claiming for?? ....
R30

Post by R30 »

It was definitely insanity Rik :twisted:
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

There must be a way.

Post by JMan »

Mike... I've PM'd you.. I'm just starting to look into housing issues for those in the UK with kidney problems.
I'm in a similar situation (albeit with a part functioning transplant ) but still at home with parents and can't afford to move out. Right now I see no way out to independent housing, short of borrowing large amounts of cash from family, or being 'thrown out' by parents (local housing officer kind of suggested I got a letter off them asking me to leave!).
But I was also told there was no way that I'd 'automatically' be better off though ed problems may help towards 'points'.. I'm also looking at Housing Assoc (Circle 33).
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
les

HOUSING (MIKE)

Post by les »

Hi Mike!!!,
Sorry I'm a bit late with this re- but I've just re-joined the site! Anyway housing!!!
I've been trying to get re-housed in Manchester since Sept/05
I even sent the housing officer/department a letter from the renal unit stating that I had chronic renal kidney failure and was homeless?(stopping in one bed bungalow with brother) so no room at all! But no luck so far, and only in group 2
I was told to try and get a renal social worker to help? But no luck yet Hope you have more luck than me
Take care
LES
smile,even if only once a day and laughter, infectiuos.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi,

I spoke to my brother (he also has chronic kdiney failure) about this as he had been housed by the council up until he went to university and he said that every patient he knows had to apply at least twice before they got housed if that is any help?

You should have access the the renal social worker and my social worker helped me fill out the forms etc.

Hope you get further than me

Good luck

Mike
oldborris

Post by oldborris »

it is not surprising that people are unsympathetic to so-called asylum seekers when councils have a duty to house these newcomers to our shores but no duty at all to their own citizens. I was told recently of a case [mind you, hearsay only] where the three wives of an asylum seeker were each given council accomodation as well as separate accomodation for the bloke himself. Of course we must look after genuine asylum seekers until they can stand on their feet but we also have at least an equal duty to our own people.