Midrodrine

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Angel

Midrodrine

Post by Angel »

I know this is a very long shot as I have something more unusual. But was hoping by posting this I may strike lucky and someone reading this may have some experience of what I am going through.
I have a side effect of long term dialysis which causes problems with blood pressure control in that I have chronic hypotension. One of the treatments is the above drug but after being on it some years it appears to have little or no effectiveness which was something a consultant confirmed with me a couple of years ago. I have started to hear a few reports that some people's blood pressure improves by stopping the drug but as I have few symptoms of low BP I am concerned about taking this step.
I am interested to know if anyone has any experience of using this drug on a longer term basis and what happened with them. I don't think there is alot else they can do as at the moment the only known cure is a kidney transplant, but it is getting to the point where the numbers are scaring me a bit. I psychologically adjusted as they went down and could cope with coming off the machine at a lower level-say 70/40, but now it is that all the time-and ocassionally lower it is starting to unnerve me. It is sometimes slightly higher but so far I can't guage why as it can be just as low with a couple of litres on so it isn't down to dryness.
I am thankful that I can get the fluid off and am relatively symptom free but I am sure it is contributing to my fatigue and feeling of well being at the moment. I wouldn't come off the drug without talking to my consultant and the unit is going to see what they can do but I would be interested in the thoughts of others.