Red patches on tongue?

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

nycpetit

Red patches on tongue?

Post by nycpetit »

No, not white stuff, like that oral thrush we get with steroids. But this is like sort of spotty, and only on my tongue. Just red spots, and flush with my tongue, not raised.

Anyone ever have anything similar to this at all? I just got a cold too. A pretty bad one, but I first noticed the tongue about five days before i got sick, so i don't know if it's related.

i seem to feel like I am getting sick long before I actually do. Does this have anything to do with immunosuppression?

Also, I went to the doctor, and he didn't really know what it was either. If it doesn't subside when the cold starts to go away, then I have to get my tongue scraped.

Any thoughts?
Anne in Va

Post by Anne in Va »

Natalie,

You may have what is known as "Geographic Tongue." I have had it twice in the past but not since my transplant last December. It appears as flat red patches on the tongue sometimes the border is white. If the tongue has several patches, it can look somewhat like a map hence "Geographic Tongue." It actually occurs in healthy people but may be related to allergies, asthma and several other diseases. Seemingly, there is no known cause and it usually disappears all by itself in time. A doctor I had several years ago diagnosed mine. He had been one of these infectious diseases/CDC weanies so had seen just about all there was to see. I imagine it is not usual fare for Nephrologists. My dentist also recognised it. Guess it is fairly common for them.

Great to read your posts and learn, despite a bad cold, you are doing so well. Feel better soon.

Anne
R30

Tongue problems

Post by R30 »

Hi Natalie
It may well be related to your cold. I am aware that viruses can do strange things to your body (especially on immuno.) that you don't normally see.
However, having said that, you mentioned feeling like you are coming down with something long before you actually become ill. This is one of the symptoms I have had for a long time with my renal failure. Sometimes it comes to nothing, sometimes I get a cold. I particularly suffered from this when initially on steriods 6 years ago and felt dreadful for half a day, and then....nothing.
May be a good idea to visit your dentist to see what they say.
Hope you are keeping well and sorry you have a cold - not a great thing at this time of year.
Happy Xmas!
Ruth