Power Supply in USA ?

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Hal

Power Supply in USA ?

Post by Hal »

Hi,

I'm off to the USA soon :) Baxter sent me a transformer to convert UK voltage to US.

However, the transformer has a 3 pin (prong) plug to go into the wall socket - are American sockets now 3 pin ? I thought they were 2 pins.

If they are 3 pins and we have 2 pin travel adapters, can we still use them ?

I'm going to call where we are staying to see if they are on 2 or 3 pin, but any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Hal
Bruce

US Power Supply

Post by Bruce »

Hal:

Almost every electrical outlet in the US is a 3-prong outlet. 2-prong outlets have not been widely used in decades. You only see them in older houses where the outlets have not been upgraded. Certainly any hotel you stay in will have to have upgraded their outlets to meet local building codes.

Have a Great trip! --Bruce
Hal

Post by Hal »

Thanks Bruce, I wonder why our travel adapters go from 3 pins UK to 2 pins USA ?

Hal.
Bill

The "third" prong

Post by Bill »

Hal:

The third prong in the US is a ground (its the half round one). Most low voltage/current appliances do not need to be grounded. So that is why you will see two pronge plugs, but they will fit into a three prong outlet.

Good luck on your trip. Where are you going?

Bill
Hal

Post by Hal »

Thanks Bill. I gathered the 3rd pin was a ground, but didn't know you could avoid it. Everything has to be grounded here as far as I know.

I am going to California (my brother is at University there for a year) - San Diego and Palm Springs :)

Hal.
amanda in CA

voltage difference

Post by amanda in CA »

Hi, Hal, the third prong is an earth prong. It depends on where you are staying and how old their electrics are on whether they have two pin or three pin outlets. You can still use your existing travel adaptor in three pin outlets, it will just mean that the appliance is grounded to earth. Since the voltage is lower over here this isn't such an issue, but I would be careful using an appliance in the bathroom (unless there is a circuit breaker which there should be) because the damp environment can reduce resistance which means that if you were to get a shock, the current that would pass through you would be greater than in a higher resistance environment with the same voltage (I'm sure you already know this anyway). Amanda