Food

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Andy

Food

Post by Andy »

Hi
I know there are foods that are high in Potassiuma nd ones that are low in potassium but I am wondering are there like any makes of food that are lower in potassium than the other.
E.g Are heinz baked beans higher in potassium than Tesco's Value..?

Or does this not matter?

Cheers
Andy
We are the way we are, if we werent, I wouldnt be me and you wouldnt be you!

www.lltgl.org.uk
Hal

Post by Hal »

It shouldn't make any significant difference Andy.

They'd only be different really if the quantities of beans and tomatoes were largely different and they will be about the same in both.

You can get reduced salt Tesco baked beans (Tesco Healthy Eating range), so these have less sodium but not potassium.

Hal.
Andy

Post by Andy »

Cool I wasnt really sure..
Im not actually lookign for myself but for a friend of a friend, she has just been diagnosed with ESRF and is having to gon dialysis, she was given her list yesterday of can and cant foods and i think it left her on a bit of a downer.
We are the way we are, if we werent, I wouldnt be me and you wouldnt be you!

www.lltgl.org.uk
amanda in CA

high potassium foods

Post by amanda in CA »

People with ESRF generally have high potassium levels, but this is not always the case. If your friend is still passing reasonable quantities of urine then her potassium and sodium can be low (mine always were last time I was on dialysis) but only her lab results will show what hers is doing. furthermore, if she decides to choose peritoneal dialysis, there is a tendency to lose potassium and sodium from the dialysis fluid, so it is not always necessary then to restrict intake. Amanda
rita

foods low in potassium

Post by rita »

one thing that really helped when I was on this diet was avoiding foods containing potassium sorbate. these include fruit drinks and sponge cakes, its a preservative so is in more than you'd think.