Is anyone else as ticked off at Katie Couric as I am?

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

christineDC

Is anyone else as ticked off at Katie Couric as I am?

Post by christineDC »

On Tuesday 11/23 Ms. Couric was interviewing Steven Cojocaru (the crazy Hollywood e-reporter) about his need for a transplant. Cojo has PCOS. Apparently he has just loads of friends willing to donate. At the end of the rather trite interview Katie says "Oh Steven, Matt and Al (her co-stars) say they'll donate...giggle...NOT!".

I mean, does she think the need for a transplant is some kind of joke? That finding a donor is easy?

I'm drafting a letter to her and the head of NBC news. (Like I have nothing else to do - started my new job 3 weeks ago and LOVE it!! Moved into our new place 10 days ago and still unpacking...).

BTW, all fine on the kidney front. Creatinine remains stable. Popped up for a bit but turns out it was the facility doing the bloodwork - argh. Feeling AWESOME. Had some serious munchies but the pred is down to 12.5 and munchies have disappeared. WEight is stable - off 14 pounds from pre-dialysis days and even down a couple from dialysis.
nycpetit

I missed that

Post by nycpetit »

I didn't see that, and I had it on, and remember seeing Cojo.

He needs a kidney transplant??

Darn I wish I'd seen it. No, I think it's right to send a letter.

As for your health, I am really glad to hear you are feeling so well!!

Happy Thanksgiving!
amanda in CA

Katie Couric

Post by amanda in CA »

Hi, Christine, I didn't see the piece but I would have shared your views had I done so. Ms Couric obviously lives in a cosy little world which I sincerely hope will one day be shattered by chronic illness and then she may not find is so humerous. Glad to hear that things are going well for you. Love Amanda xx
LadySycamore

Re: Is anyone else as ticked off at Katie Couric as I am?

Post by LadySycamore »

christineDC wrote:On Tuesday 11/23 Ms. Couric was interviewing Steven Cojocaru (the crazy Hollywood e-reporter) about his need for a transplant. Cojo has PCOS. Apparently he has just loads of friends willing to donate. At the end of the rather trite interview Katie says "Oh Steven, Matt and Al (her co-stars) say they'll donate...giggle...NOT!".

I mean, does she think the need for a transplant is some kind of joke? That finding a donor is easy?
Wow this was today? I totally missed that. She tends to think that she's funny, when most of the time it's more like "Phony". :p

Personally, I don't think most ppl outside of the renal world take kidney issues very seriously. I chalk that up to it not being a disease that one can "see" easily, like perhaps some cancers or other chronic illnesses. If one doesn't see that you are ill, then you must not be, and you are ok. Plus, I see more emphasis put upon other illnesses, but kidney failure hardly gets a blip.

Here in Philadelphia, they had the NKF Walk on October 10th. I was planning on attending, but I had a vacation scheduled around the same time. So, when we got home from the vacation, I was looking forward to seeing the walk highlighted on the 11:00 news...nothing! Another walk was highlighted instead. I was so mad! :evil: In addition, there hadn't even been any promotion of that walk during the weeks leading up to it, but you saw plenty of time devoted to a couple of other walks. I meant to ask my local NKF Chapter about that. (about promotion)

So anyway, so about that...the rant. Miss Couric probably could care less about kidney issues anyway...she's too wrapped up about colon cancer these days.

Glad to hear you are doing ok. :wink: 8)
Dialyze.org:
http://dialyze.org/forums/index.php
Chatroom, Support, Advocacy and more!

Dialyze.org MemberGroup on MSN:
http://groups.msn.com/Dialyze-orgMember ... sages.msnw
Pam

Post by Pam »

Lady Sycamore, you are SO right!!! Kidney disease has no celebrity spokesperson or telethons. We have no public service announcements or anyone trying to educate people on our issues. :evil:
Cancer is an awful disease, but after the chemo or radiation, many people today are surviving it with no other treatments needed. Not so with kidney disease! We are either on dialysis for life or have a transplant which also can cause many complications medically. We must be on medication that can have serious side effects for the rest of our lives.
I didn't see the Katie Couric piece, but I would have been offended too. I am sure that she does not consider colon cancer a laughing matter! Most people do NOT understand what we go through and thus are ignorant about our disease...maybe Katie needs a wake-up call. She needs to interview a few people who have a kidney condition... maybe she wouldn't be so flippant about it if she knew more. That doesn't excuse her though. As a prominent news figure, she should think before she opens her mouth.
Christine, I say hurray to you for writing that letter! So glad that you are doing well and your kidney is "chugging" along!
Love,
Pam
32 yr cadaver transplant recipient, now on peritoneal dialysis with the help of Audrey, my Homechoice machine... as of 4/3/09
Romans 8:28