vasculitis -?

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

jooms

vasculitis -?

Post by jooms »

My wife (on haemodialysis) has found a 'rash' or 'spot' that looks similar to skin vasculitis (undiagnosed). She recently switched to Renagel and I was thinking that there might be some allergic reaction. Anyone with similar experience? I'm just now researching through the online medical journals and thought that this forum might come up with some info. (sometimes better than the doctors' !)
jooms

calciphylaxis

Post by jooms »

Posting a reply to my own message a few hours later after browsing the web looking for a diagnosis.

The renal doc this afternoon suggested it might be vasculitis. 2 GPs this morning thought it was an infection. Seems that it might be calciphylaxis, also known as the uraemic gangrene syndrome, vascular calcification cutaneous necrosis syndrome, azotaemic calcific arteriolopathy, or calcifying panniculitis.

Much more serious. Anyone with info on this?
George

Re: vasculitis -?

Post by George »

jooms wrote:My wife (on haemodialysis) has found a 'rash' or 'spot' that looks similar to skin vasculitis (undiagnosed). She recently switched to Renagel and I was thinking that there might be some allergic reaction. Anyone with similar experience? I'm just now researching through the online medical journals and thought that this forum might come up with some info. (sometimes better than the doctors' !)
Hi jooms, Vasculitiswas the disease that actually started my kidney failure. I know your wife is already on dialysis but for me it was the start of my problems.
In my case the doctors think I was bitten by an incect and left eith a viral infection. Vasculitis often flares up and leaves pinkish scaring. The rash is often on the lower legs but can be found on the bottom and thighs. It is actually the bodies own immune systemthat fights the bug which disguises its self as blood vessels or organs particular the kidneys. I was on a course of antibiotics (eyrthimicin- check spelling) for about 2 years. Unfortunately for me it then developed in to a disease called Henoch-Scholines Pupora, which is simular but causes large bloody spots on the veins, often I have large bruises on my waist and inner thighs. Hope this gives you an insight and sorry I cannot be more helpful.