Question regarding food

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

GSinCA

Question regarding food

Post by GSinCA »

I have been on dialysis for 14 months. For the second time since I started dialysis, I can not taste the flavor of the food I eat. The first time was shortly after my kidneys stopped working and I figured it was a side affect of the meds I was taking, the episode only lated a few weeks but it drove me crazy. It started again last Tuesday night at dinner. Since I am not taking any new meds, I'm less inclined to think its medicines. Has any one else had this problem or know of any possible cause ? I plan on talking to my neph next Tues when I see her. Thanks in advance for your help GS in CA
R30

Food

Post by R30 »

Hi GS

The only thing I can think of asking is do you have a cold at the moment, or anything resembling a cold - perhaps hayfever (you can suffer from this at any time of year)? The reason I ask is that when one's nasal tubes are affected, taste can be lost for quite some time. Failing that, have you thoroughly checked all the side effects from your medication (I check mine on the internet - gives far more than the little info. sheets inside meds)? I have found that when my creatinine went up when I was on dialysis, I could start to have side effects that I hadn't had for some time.
Just a thought...

Ruth

P.S. Let us know what you find out as this may help other's with their experience of renal failure and dialysis.
GSinCA

Post by GSinCA »

Hello Ruth,
Thanks for replying. And no I didn't have a cold. But as of Sat I can now taste food again. GS
Elaine

loss of taste

Post by Elaine »

Hi read u posts. Just like 2 say thta my daughter has had MEGA probs with loss of taste since renal failure approx 2 yrs. Been on p/d and now haemo but still says things taste soo different and has had lotta probs with nausea sickness loss appetite too. Having spoken to DRs and renal nurses they say very common sadly with renal failure - just 1 of many many side effects of disease. They say thats why people on dialysis like strong flavours as everything else tastes soo funny and bland. Things like PIZZA!!!! N CURRY sauce, spec wen u speak 2 other people @ hospital. We @ kids hospital and not sure if any worses for kids but talking to most kids they all have taste probs n loss appetite from renal failure etc. :o

But often when transplanted and taste buds come bak so does appetite etc etc. So heres hoping to get that transplant call................ :wink:

best wishes Elaine UK :wink:
Judith

Question Regarding Food

Post by Judith »

I had a similar problem when I was very anaemic, so it may be worth getting your haemoglobin levels checked. Once they sorted this out, things tasted normal again.

Good luck.
Judith
LadySycamore

Post by LadySycamore »

This could be a problem that "we" have with uremia. Because dialysis is only 10% of a "normal" kidney, then toxins, etc. tend to build up and can affect your taste buds.

HTH
Dialyze.org:
http://dialyze.org/forums/index.php
Chatroom, Support, Advocacy and more!

Dialyze.org MemberGroup on MSN:
http://groups.msn.com/Dialyze-orgMember ... sages.msnw