Mesangioproliferative GN/IGM Nephropathy

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

michelle999

Mesangioproliferative GN/IGM Nephropathy

Post by michelle999 »

:? Can someone please help?

I have now been told by a new renal Dr that my biopsy showed that I have Mesangioproliferative GN. She said that it showed traces of IGM, and she thinks I might have IGM Nephropathy. Is this a sub shoot of the former?

Does anyone know much about these conditions? Would like to hear from any other sufferers out there...

Best wishes,

Michelle.
Hal

Post by Hal »

Hi Michelle,

Can't be much help I'm afraid, but when I was first diagnosed I was a bit confused by the terms. I was told I have membranoProliferative GN, also known as Mesangiocapillary GN, but not not mesangio proliferative GN.

Just thought I'd let you know that so you don't end up with information which seems right, but is a bit different.

Good luck finding something,

Hal.
michelle999

Post by michelle999 »

Thanks very much Hal, I expect I will get there some day...
Doolally

Post by Doolally »

Hi Michelle, I was diagnosed with Mesangiocapillary Glomerulonephritis - presume its the same thing! Just thought I'd let you know. I'm always told how rare it is so its pretty cool to hear of others with it.

I have traces of IgG (another type of antibody).

By-the-way, apparently the Royal Free Hospital have just published a document on MCGN/MPGN - its pretty big news because I have a feeling nothing has been officially published in the UK yet. I'm one of the case studies (about six of seven altogether). Just thought I'd let my fellow MCGN/MPGN-ers know!

Ask any questions and I may be vaguely able to answer them!! My new nephrologist is SOOOO helpful so I'm making use of this and turning up at every appointment with a long list of questions. I'm keen to understand the disease as much as possible.

Take care, Ali
michelle999

Post by michelle999 »

Thanks Ali, I have sent you a reply by email. I hope you get it!
Hal

Post by Hal »

Hi,

Don't want to interfere but just to clarify that if Ali has mesangiocapillary glomurelonephritis, this is the same as membrano proliferative glomuleronephritis (MPGN) and different to Michelle's mesangioproliferative glomurelonephritis.

However, the symptoms and problems caused by both will be pretty similar since they both involve protein loss through the filters of the kidneys.

Best wishes,

Hal.
Doolally

Post by Doolally »

Gosh, that is silly, the names are so similar I can't believe they're not the same disease. Thanks for clarifying that Hal. You did say that in your first message but I didn't pay enough attention!!

Ali
michelle999

Post by michelle999 »

No prob Ali. Thanks Hal.