Another question for female tx patients

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

R30

Another question for female tx patients

Post by R30 »

Hi all

I had my tx three week's ago, and have noticed that the hair on my legs and under my armpits has stopped growing. I am aware that this is shaving heaven :twisted: , but can anyone else tell me if they have experienced this, and how long it took to come back? Am I destined to bin my razor(s) for good :?:

Thanks
Ruth
debbie

Hair!

Post by debbie »

I wish!!!! Mine is growing with a vengeance :lol: I've noticed that I'm always shaving now..... Having to have my hair cut every 4 weeks as well, although I'm not complaining about my hair because it looks much healthier now. Also my nails need a lot more attention. Don't know what your drug regime is but I'm on prednisilone, MMF and ciclosporin, not sure whether that makes any difference.
R30

Stunted hair growth!

Post by R30 »

I am on Tacrolimus, MMF and a bi-monthly IV of Dacluzimab (antibodies). I purposely discussed a steriod-free regime with the Consultant who runs this trial as I had awful side-effects from Prednisolone when I was last on it.
Don't know if these make any difference, but I haven't had to shave for two weeks now :D . Fantastic!
Ruth
Rik

Post by Rik »

the discussion of hair loss/hair growth has been quite regularly tossed around on this board ...
rather like the long hair tossed around by models selling hair products in television commercials ...

and I think its fair to say that there is about an even split between those who say that they are suffering from the loss of hair to those that say they are achieving ... for the less hirsute amongst us, the holy grail!! ... hair growth ...
and being of the follicaly challenged variety myself I looked forward to the possibility rushing out and investing in a comb ... and as I'm ever the optimist ...even started saving for a hair dryer too!!! ...
never mind the waiting list for getting a kidney ... I was busy trying to get onto the list for a hair cut by Vidal Sassoon!!!

as in all debates that take place ... there will be those who shout loudly that they are right ... whilst in the opposite corner there will be others who cry out that they are right and all others are wrong ... and there will be just a few straddling the fence ... undecided as to which side has the answer ...

it appears that I am one of lifes fence straddlers ... that is until this very morning ...
every morning (much to my relief) I awake ... and search the pillow for poor lost souls who may have jumped ship in the night ... and ... no real real signs of drug induced alopecia have been detected as yet ...
(apart from a terrible scare when I found masses on my pillow ... and suicidaly thought that not only was I losing even MORE hair ... but I had turned GREY overnight as well!!! ... though fortunately quite quickly this was determined to be hair from one of our cats who was moulting at the time) ...

folks ... this is a BIG moment in my life ... I no longer straddle that uncomfortable fence ...
I HAVE HAIR GROWTH!!!!!!!
yes ... upon minute inspection and verified from an unimpeachable source ... I HAVE HAIR!!!
phenomenal as it might sound I have achieved a 25% increase in hair growth!!!! ...
yes from small acorns mighty oaks grow!!!

I now have FOUR hairs on my chest where once only 3 stood ...
I thank the heavens for Prograf!!!!
R30

The undeniable presence of hair...!

Post by R30 »

Hi Rik
Your posting made me laugh out loud! God forbid that I should be attracting more like you - I may even grow a beard, to go with my moustache........(only joking).
Keep it up. I love getting postings like yours! :lol:
Ruth
Rik

Post by Rik »

:( ... I sadly have to report the loss of Hair Number 4 shortly after 2pm today ... :(

tragically Hair Number 4 caught up with my shirt button and was painfully extracted by its root from my chest ... the scene was utter choas and confusion moments after the event and First Aiders at the scene say that sadly there was nothing they could do to reinsert Hair Number 4 ...

makers of the shirt ... Marks & Spencer ... say whilst they have never heard of such a terrible accident happening before they will be recalling all shirts of similar design...
the Health & Safety Executive say they will be examing the events that led up to the terrible loss of Hair Number 4 to see if such a tragic incident could have been averted ...

whilst parents of hair number 4 have been notified of their terrible loss ... they have accepted it to be a tragic accident ... it is asked of the press not to intrude on their moment of sorrow ...

the Prime Minister is said to be rushing to the scene and has demanded that questions be raised in the House as to what can be done to prevent such tragedy occuring in the future ... all parties led a Minute Silence when the the tragic news was read out to the stunned Members of the House...
the Queen has sent a personal message of condolence to the parents ...

it has been decided that Hair Number 4 will Lay in State where he fell ... until the floor is next hoovered ...
debbie

for Rik

Post by debbie »

The more I read your posts the more I am sure my husband is secretly logging onto this board and answering my questions :lol: :lol: I too was laughing out loud and gave the game away cos I was meant to be typing an important letter and was caught red handed on this board!!!!! Keep up the humour, it is much needed!
Anne in Va

Post by Anne in Va »

Hi Ruth,

I also had lack of growth at first after my transplant. Yeah! thought I, no more hair removal! sad to say, this was only a short lived reprieve as I have once again joined the "hairy legs" club. I have no idea what the reason was for the halt in hair growth or why it only lasted a short period of time.

About three months out, I started to lose hair on my head. Fortunately this also was short lived and my hair started to grow again. I know Prograf can cause this side effect and was, of course, delighted when it grew back. Bald is not my favorite hair style! Talk about mixed blessings. It would have been great if it had stayed gone on my legs and underarms.

Cyclosporine on the other hand is notorious for causing excessive hair growth. Prednisone can also be a culprit. So I guess I should be glad that my growth has returned to normal levels. I am steroid free. I take Prograf and Cellcept. My first kidney birthday is December 4th.

JMan, you are crazy but we love you!

Anne
R30

Rik's postings

Post by R30 »

Rik, I have to say, if I laugh much more I may expire. I, too, will be found on the floor, along with Hair Number 4.
Your postings make me laugh like no others.
Keep it up - oldborris has a rival...
Ruth :D
amanda in CA

hairy tail

Post by amanda in CA »

well, Rik, you know how the saying goes: "Hair today, gone tomorrow". You make me laugh too. By the way, when are you going to come over to the US to pay us a visit? Amanda
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

Last edited by JMan on Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rik

Post by Rik »

Amanda I would love to visit the US again ... but the Scottish blood in me tells me its cheaper to wait for you to come back to Blighty and meet you here ;)

Jim dont worry ... Not sure how Anne got us confused ... after all ... I'm tall sauve and devilishly handsome ... and your often mistaken for a Ronnie Corbett look'a'likey!!!!! ;)
Anne in Va

To Rik and JMan

Post by Anne in Va »

Sorry guys. How could I ever mix you up. Blame it on my terrible eyesight. After all, we all know you are an adonis JMan beloved by ALL the young ladies in "Ye Old London Town!" The other guy, I HEAR, bears a strong resemblance to a teletubby. Or was it the other way around? Dear me, maybe my hearing is failing also!

Seriously guys, I love you both. Sorry for the confusion.

Anne
Doolally

Post by Doolally »

You're all mad and I love it! :P :P :P Keep up the humour!

My body doesn't seem to be able to decide what on earth to do on the hair front. The hair on my head seems to be falling out like anything - luckily its very thick so only I notice. I had my legs waxed about five weeks ago and there's barely any growth since. I hardly ever wax them because normally it only lasts a week. Bonus!

On the other hand I swear I have more hair on my face - or maybe my facial blonde bum fluff has gone darker. But I'm noticing a wee tash to my utter disappointment. I changed from Cellcept to Azathioprine a few weeks back and started Prednisolone. So maybe the hair loss is a side-effect of one of the drugs and the extra growth / darkening is a side-effect of the other. Who knows! The joys of drugs!

I can most certainly live with the lack of hair on my legs though!!!
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

At last.. confirmation by approved sources that I'm nuts :D

Hmm Ronnie Corbett indeed.. .. no I'm not that untall ;) I believe Rik is the one who shares a description with Bill Bailey :D I'm just plain crazy..

And I want to know who's been telling porkies now :p

Jxxx