Question for female transplant patients...

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

debbie

Question for female transplant patients...

Post by debbie »

No offence meant to any men but didn't think you would know answer!! :D Previous to my transplant I took a mini pill but now the drs are refusing to let me go back onto it because it affects ciclosporin and vice versa. I would much rather take a pill and the other options are limited due to infection etc. Any advice anyone please.....
Elaine

mini pill etc

Post by Elaine »

Hello my daughter been in similar situation excessive bleeding periods etc ,although prior to transplant on dialysis. The pill etc is higher risk clots etc, althogh because of my daughters disease she was already much higher risk. So prior to going on transplant list had to stop pill and depovera hormone injection every3 mnths due to such increased risks of blood clots etc. Have spoken to gynaecologist who sed more than wwelcome to speak to her post transplant about any contraceptive decisions etc etc. Maybe worth asking to be referred to gynaecologist who can guide u and work together with Transplant team about interactions drugs etc and risks.

good luck & best wishes Elaine UK. ;)
nycpetit

Pill

Post by nycpetit »

Do you know by any chance if you could or can take Prograf? I don't remember when you got your kidney. But I am going to take a guess that it's only with cyclosporin that this interaction takes place, because my unit was upset with me because I wouldn't take the pill after my transplant. I hate the side effects of the pill (sounds funny given all the meds we take, but it doesn't work well with me). So I guess with Prograf it's okay since they suggested it.

Of course, switching isn't a good idea if cyclo is working well for you. But like Elaine said, maybe working with a gyno can help, and did she say her daughter was able to get the shot??

I hope you find a solution!
natalie
debbie

Post by debbie »

I only got my kidney 8 weeks ago..... Am I right in thinking prograf is tacrolimus (sp?) because I can't have that.... they tried me on it when it first came out 10yrs or so ago and it didn't like me!!! I think the gynae route is the way to go, it's just getting the appt sorted, have to hassle neph to get urgent referral. I tried the depo injection before and it bloomin hurt and didn't work very well. Thanks for advice.
Rik

'alternative' medical advice ...

Post by Rik »

a simple and effective way that has no side effect reactions with any drugs you ever take is something called 'abstinence' ...
erm...
may I take this moment to say (in case my loving partner ever reads this!!) that 'abstinence' is not effective for male transplantees and can even have detrimental effects if this method is continued for any length of time past a few days .... :wink:
debbie

must be the name!!!

Post by debbie »

My hubby is called Rick and I think he would agree with you.... the easiest option would be for him to have the snip but for some unknown reason he goes very pale when that word is mentioned :lol: Unfortunately that's not the only reason I need to sort my pill, won't have a very good Hb the way things tend to go.