Some Advice

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Paula

Some Advice

Post by Paula »

My fiancé has just been put on the Kidney Transplant List, it has all come as a bit of a shock, but we are grand.
My dilemma is that we are due to get married next April, now we are not sure what to do.

We both realize that it is impossible to determine when “the callâ€
debbie

wedding day!

Post by debbie »

Hi, Personally I would go with the original plan but take out wedding insurance to cover the chance of "the call" coming. You could delay or bring forward the date but there really is no chance of knowing when the call will come. I waited 8 yrs! If you had to delay the wedding it would only be for (hopefully!) 6 months or so and with a good insurance you shouldn't lose money. With any luck you'll only do this once so plan it how you really want it to be :D Take care
amanda in CA

wedding dilemma

Post by amanda in CA »

I too would go ahead with the original plan. It really is better to just get on with life, you really don't know when that call will come and it would be a shame to avoid things just in case. When you first get on the list, you tend to think about getting the call a lot. As time goes on, it is something that you consider less. the insurance thing that Debbie suggested sounds like a good idea though. Amanda
Rik

Post by Rik »

I can only follow up and agree with both of these fine ladies ...

it really isnt useful to be sitting by the phone waiting for whenever the call might come through ... get on and live your life ...

those of us who have been lucky enough to have had the call will tell you that they can arrive when you least expecting it ... mine as a few on here know ... was an answerphone message left for me at home on the night I was returning from Spain ... and if I'm right in thinking someone else took the call on Christmas Day ... the only thing I did in regard of recieving the call was to always have my mobile switched on wherever I was ... even in places I shouldnt ... just stick it on silent when you need to ...

the insurance policy is a great idea ... something I never considered when I went on holiday ... might be worth considering holiday insurance to cover late cancelation too ...
Elaine

regarding? post-pone wedding or not?

Post by Elaine »

Hello just like to say that my daughter is on transplnat waiting list too. We have had experiences of re- arranging and juggling events etc around hospital appointments ops etc only to find that we are in the same boat after re-arranging everything!! :shock:

Maybe it would be useful to take out insurance etc if wedding postponed unexpectdly? However after taking so long to make arrangements maybe worth to go ahead as planned as u just never know wen a call may come. As others' have said u can't really put u life on hold only try and continue as 'normal' as is possible until called for transplant.

good luck 4 the future for u both :D Elaine UK
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

"What they said" :D

Really you DO NOT know when the match will come up. could be 2 days, could be 2 years!! The odds are usually still better than the lottery :D
I waited around a year for mine this time.

Whilst waiting for my call I was on haemodialysis anyway (so a routine of sorts around that) and had been waiting for a year. Some units provide pagers, some not. In my case not. I actually received the call at 2am in the morning and ignored it assuming it was a misdialled call from of the local pubs (we are about 1 number out from 1 of them) It was only when there was blue flashing lights outside and a banging on the front door that I took any notice.

The funny part was that it was a PC and WPC and he was asking her if they had an A-Z in the car to get to the hospital. (Being local police they of course were not familiar with the route) I went to the hospital with my parents and we told them to go back to the station and have a nice cup of tea :D
J
Paula

Thanks

Post by Paula »

Thank you all for the replies.

You are all right, I am leaving the Wedding as it is and I am in the process of trying to get Wedding Insurance (which is not an easy task).

If anyone can shed any light on the whole Wedding Insurance, please let me know.

Thanks,
Paula
BB

Same Dilemna!!

Post by BB »

Hi Paula,

Just wanted to let you know we are in exactly the same situation, going on Transplant List and due to get married next year!! We have also decided that we can't put our lives on hold anymore and have to stick with our original plans although we too are having problems getting wedding insurance to cover cancellation :x
Anyway we are going to keep on trying and will let you know if we have any success - Good luck with all your plans :)

Best wishes
BB