Life Assurance

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

BB

Life Assurance

Post by BB »

Hi,

I'm very new to this but I have been on this BB loads of times and you all sounded so nice, I've finally plucked up the courage to post for your help.
My boyfriend has ESRF and has had kidney problems all his life. We have been trying to get Life Assurance for our mortgage as we have just been told by his previous insurer that they can no longer provide cover (our financial advisor forgot to mention the kidney failure?!). None of the major insurance companies are now prepared to cover for a pre-existing medical condition.

If anyone could give us any help or suggestions as to where we can go from here, it would be much appreciated. :)

Thank you
BB
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Money money money... Life Assurance

Post by JMan »

Hi
Firstly .. Welcome to the board.

Not having been in the position of looking to buy a property or get life insurance policys I don't know too much about this.
However I DO remember a post on another board that mentioned Cheltenham & Gloucester as a favourable BS to approach.

Given the 'life issue' of this you might try financial institutions such as the ecology BS or Triodos bank altho I cannot remember if they offer the services you are looking for.

Do try ringing round quite a lot more before you give up.
You might also try the NKF helpline, see: http://www.kidney.org.uk/main/helpline.html
They may or may not be able to offer some guidance.

And come back and let us know how you get on :)
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
Bill

Post by Bill »

I usually get mine through work. Then when I leave I usuallly have the option to keep the insurance and pay for it myself. There are no medical questions that way.

Bill
BB

Re:Life Assurance

Post by BB »

Bill,

Thankyou for your input - it sounds much easier in the US then here!! :D We will look into this....

JMan
Thankyou too - I will try all your suggestions and keep my fingers crossed!!

Thanks again and will let you know :D
BB
laurab

Life Insurance

Post by laurab »

Hi BB

I was wondering how you had got on with your boyfriends life insurance.

My husband has recently (very suddenly) went on to APD, and our remortgage has suddenly hit problems as we cannot get life cover for him.

Did you come across any companies that were willing to cover your boyfriend ??

Look forward to hearing from you

Laura
George

Post by George »

If your working full time getting a mortgage is not difficult, but sadly getting insurance for a pre existing complaint is almost impossible. Before I got kidney failure I had problems getting life insurance, I had been diognosed with Vasculitis several years previously. I was sent for a medical and that is where my impending kidney failure was first picked up. So I supose I should be greatful as I recieved treatment that slowed down the inevitable. I did get very limited cove but it was very expensive for little return. £15 per month for just £12,000 of cover on a 10 year policy with no gaurentee to extend this period. Had I not had my kidney problems I would have got £65,000 for the same £15.
BB

Still trying.....

Post by BB »

Hi Laura,

Sorry to hear that you're experiencing problems too.

To answer your question, we are still in the process of trying to get cover. We have found exactly the same as George says that it is proving v v v difficult as it's a pre-existing condition so the companies we have approached either won't cover us at all or will cover us but will not pay-out if the pre-existing condition has anything to do with the claim or lastly charge a fortune for the cover with extremely little return.

We have got several independent financial advisors trying different companies for us but the paperwork takes time and it is a long-winded process but we remain hopeful. I would suggest trying this method as they do all the time-consuming form-filling for you and keep you updated.

I tried NKF helpline as JMan kindly suggested in earlier post and they gave a few companies but none who would give us cover.
There is one company who I found on the Internet who were very helpful and who may be able to help. They are called PULSE, based in Dorchester, Dorset. I'll e-mail you their number.

If we get cover in the meantime I will let you know.

Good luck

BB :)
BB