Low potassium?

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

dawnrob

Low potassium?

Post by dawnrob »

:? Hello - new here and doing a little research. My hubby has kidney problems which result in high bloodpressure and gout and is on medication to keep this under control. So far so good. At a recent meeting with his consultant he was told his potassium levels were too high. Can anyone recommend diets suitable for renal problems? Also at what point should he being seeing a dietician?
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Hi K low K

Post by JMan »

That point is now..

if you have questions a dietician is the person best placed to tell you what to avoid..

One thing to note is they tend to be better at telling you what you should not eat, than what you CAN.. so try and get whoever you see to give you plenty of information on what is LOW in pottassium.
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
Hal

Post by Hal »

Hi,

As JMan advised, you need to speak to a dietician asap. Even before you see a dietician they are plenty of things you can avoid for now.

The following sites give some information on foods to avoid (although as Jman said you need practical and specific advice on what your husband can eat)

Personally I would say that your consultant is doing a pretty crap job if he tells your husband he has too high potassium levels and doens't do anything to reduce them. High potassium can be damaging to the heart in the short and long term. I'm not meaning to alarm you, but you need to get something sorted on this straight away - if you are worried get hold of your doctor by phone or fax.

---- In addition, I just read your introduction post about your unhelpful consultant. My advise would be, badger him until you get the information you need, don't be afraid to ask questions and go to see him with a list of questions and don't leave until you get proper answers. If you have questions between appointments, send him a fax - most hospitals have a policy that they will reply to a written request for information within a certain number of days.

If you have had enough of him, find out if there are any other consultants you can see - you can switch consultants, just no one will ever tell you that and you might have to fight for it. You can always contact your hospitals Patient Advice Liason Service (PALS) and make a complaint. If you don't get anywhere with that , make a complaint to the head of the nephrology department or the chief executive of the hospital -------

http://www.ikidney.com/iKidney/Lifestyl ... assium.htm

http://www.kidneydirections.com/us/pati ... potass.htm

Best Wishes,

Hal.