Phosphates

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Maria

Phosphates

Post by Maria »

Hi Everyone

Please could any one tell me what foods to avoid that are high in phosphates. Being to the Clinic and been told that my phosphates is very high. Please advice.

Thanks
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

Speak to a dietician.. :)
But roughly off the top my head, any dairy (milk, cheese, yoghurt etc) except full fat cream cheese (as this is just the milk fats and not the phophorus containing 'main' part of the milk), Any items that contain milk or as a main ingredient (eg milk chocolate) powdered milk type drinks, any cola with 'phosphoric acid' as an ingredient (eg Coke etc), most dried fruit and nuts, mushrooms, beans & pulses
Hal

Post by Hal »

Hi Maria,

You can look at the following web sites for information on what food is high in phosphates.

Also do you take any medication (Phosphate binders) to lower your phosphates e.g Renegal (Sevlemar), Alcucaps, Calcium Carbonate, Calcium Acetate, Phosex, Phosio .... if not you should try and ask your doctor if you can be put on one or more of these drugs, as these will help.

http://www.ikidney.com/iKidney/Lifestyl ... atient.htm (scroll down to Phosphorous section)

http://www.kidney.org.uk/Medical-Info/C ... .html#diet

Feel free to ask any more questions you have.

Best Wishes,

Hal.
R30

High Phosphate Food

Post by R30 »

Hi Maria
I had the same problem until recently.
Following on from JMan's posting, eggs and any small fish (such as sardines, anchovies etc.) are high in phosphate. You should not consume more than 3 eggs per week and about 4oz of cheese (this does not include cottage cheese which is low in phosphate). You should also try and stick to 1/3 pint of milk per day. Seafood is also high (in both phosphate and potassium) so should be avoided if at all possible.
Having high phosphate can make one very itchy and it doesn't take long for this to start after eating a high phosphate food. As I recall, this would only appear on my hands and feet, but you can itch anywhere.
Hope this helps. As I say, you shouldn't avoid all foods high in phosphate, but just regulate what you eat.
Ruth
johnsor

Phosphorous

Post by johnsor »

Hi Maria:
It seemed like just about anything I really liked was loaded with phosphorous. In addition to the ones listed above is tomatoes. I remember eating several in August since they were just coming off the vines locally and then royally flunking my phosphorous labs.
Gil

Phosphorus

Post by Gil »

A few corrections and additions:

Phosphorus goes mostly with protein.
In average it's about 10 mg/g; chicken a little less, fish a little more.
Eggwhite is lowest (1.7) and milk is the highest (30).
These numbers are for protein in grams, not the food itself.

Tomatoes, like most vegies, are low in P (25 mg/100g), but high in K.
Eggs- the yolk contains about 80 mg, so eat mostly the white, which is a good source of protein.

Gil