2nd kidney and i had a rejection (stage 2) a week later....

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Bruno

2nd kidney and i had a rejection (stage 2) a week later....

Post by Bruno »

so i'm out of the hospital after undergoing intense steriods and my levels are 1.9 which were 1.2 after the transplant. i as soooo bummed out. back the labs and meds but i am having more output these days. have anyone had this type of rejection? and what should i look foward too? my family still thinks that it is something that i am not doing right... and i am the cause of my bad luck/failure. thanks to you guys for the suport to keep me sane and on track.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi bruno

I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems but I doubt that it is being caued by something you are doing. My brother had failed transplants which were not his fault. The second one was caused by mistakes from the hospital, basically he needed a certain drug which had to be authorised by the consultant who was playing golf and couldn't be contacted so he lost the kidney!!

I don't know much about transplant but I'm sure there are many people here who will be able to help you.

Good luck and I hope it gets sorted out.

best wishes

Mike
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

Bruno..

IF its any consolation I'm on my third kidney..

- Kidneys are most likly to reject in the first 6 - 12 months period.
- Kidneys are NOT a 'plug & Play' solution (as often portrayed by the popular media)
- They ARE still the 'medically' best solution in renal replacement therapy.

I very much doubt your doing anything wrong, your renal team would have told you if you were. As for your family.. possibly they were expecting the 'plug n play' approach (eg you get the kidney, everything returns to 'normal') OK thats possibly a bit harsh but humanity likes to place a blame.

All you can do is keep doing what the docs advise.. drink loads and take the tabs on time:)

Good Luck
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
nycpetit

Bruce

Post by nycpetit »

I cannot imagine it could be anything you aren't doing properly. I can certainly understand wanting to have an answer for your troubles, but most importantly don't go blaming yourself.

Sending you lots of positive thoughts.

A fellow New Yorker (in the city).

I see you are on Long Island. Ever visited a Rogosin Institute? I had a few fellow patients who live on Long Island who got transplants and were in the New York Presbyterian, Cornell Weill when I was in August. They had to come to the city at first, but now get bloods done in Long Island.

This place comes with a high recommendation, and they have a 100% graft survival rate after one year. You can google Rogosin Institute and get more info. These people there are great.

I just wanted to share that.

Most importantly, take care and think positive!
natalie
Bruno

many thanks for the responces... they do help...knowing you

Post by Bruno »

all care. also, it was discovered that i am allergic to protonix which i was given since the transplant. no longer on that but a replace ment and today i have labs....wich me luck! i had a temp of 102.3 the day after clinic but my nurses forgot to record it in the system so two days passed before i even knew about the rejection. i don't feel badly as far as having the metal tatse or high fever but i am just worried thatsomething will go wrong since my luck hasn't been very good lately. but again withall of you guys pulling for me i'm do have a ray of hope... any way this is still better than being on dialysis!
Rachel in NY

Post by Rachel in NY »

Bruno, I wish you lots of luck during this crazy in-between time of yours. If you are taking your meds and time and followoing instructions, YOU know you didn't do anything wrong, and don't let anyone blame you. If anyone does, just say "THis conversation is over, I will NOT, and I repeat, I will NOT have any of this". That should do it ;)

Good luck.. hope your new labs come in better.. and show some more stability.

~RaChEl
Image Image

"When life keeps giving you lemons, get to work and make a tall frosted pitcher of icy cold lemonade."
Pam

Post by Pam »

Dear Bruno,
SO WELL SAID by everyone...! Do not let anyone tell you that it is your fault! :x Like JMan said, people tend to think transplants are a "quick fix" for kidney disease when we know it's not that easy!
Tell your family that you did everything according to your doctor's orders and that you do not feel like being blamed for something you have no control over. Those who do not walk in our shoes do not feel the pain we feel. :cry: It might be wise to try to help them "educate" themselves by having a chat with a doctor about what causes rejection and how important it is NOT to blame the patient.
Take care of yourself!
Blessings and prayers,
Pam
32 yr cadaver transplant recipient, now on peritoneal dialysis with the help of Audrey, my Homechoice machine... as of 4/3/09
Romans 8:28