RICHARD GOT A KIDNEY!!!!!!!

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Carolyn in CA

RICHARD GOT A KIDNEY!!!!!!!

Post by Carolyn in CA »

Well, we got "The Call" Sunday morning at 1am. A perfect match!!! He got the kidney in Sunday nite - back to him room about 6am yesterday.

He says that he didn't know it would hurt this much, and we keep telling him that he would have done it anyway! They plan to get him up today.

Any words of encouragement or experience that I can give him to help him along?

Thanks for all of your support! We are on Cloud 9!!!

Carolyn
nycpetit

YEA!!!!

Post by nycpetit »

First of all, this was the best thing I've read in ages!!! I am so happy for both of you!! It's about time!!

As for pain, hmm, I didn't have any really. I was sore from the fluid they pumped into me, which made for pressure everywhere, on my knees, and ankles, feet, and on my incision/stomach area. But once that fluid started to come down, it was much better. I was up the day after, however, had my surgery at the crack of dawn, so it's normal that he's getting up today. I remember saying, "There's no WAY I am getting up today!" :lol: But the hospital staff know what they are doing, lol, and they've heard it all before.

Be sure to bring pain killers home, and that will help there. I needed them at home, but oddly, only once or twice after the first day post-op while in the hospital. Everything gets easier after about a full week. Before that, a shower is just not easy, forget about washing the feet, lol. I mean, one side, the side opposite where my new kidney was placed, was okay, the opposite foot was difficult. Everything at home was a different height, you know. My toilet seemed way to low, and getting up out of bed once in (and he'll likely find he needs to go to pee a lot during the night as all those fluids come off) is just not easy. It's hard to get out of bed. You might need to gently help him up. You won't be getting alot of sleep.

Tell Richard first of all, that I am so happy for him. Jumping up and down here. He deserves it and I wish everything wonderful for him. Tell him not to be discouraged if he has a side effect towards the meds, that's not unlikely and will subside with time. I would say it's taken me two months (I am only 2.5 months out from my tx) to feel like, "yea, I am doing better." All the stuff they give you in the hospital is so strong that it says in your system for a long while after you are home. Tell your doc everything that might be bothering you, as they'll make note of it and follow it, and or give you something to help it. For me, for example, I was itchy. So they gave me something like Benadryl, but something less drowsy, to take to help with that. I get itchy from the Prograf.

I was blown away by how weak I was. I'd been at the gym the day prior to surgery, and then, the day after, I can only shuffle to get around. :wink: Try to walk and move while in the hospital as it makes getting home easier. Please let us know how he's doing.

And once again, I am so happy for both of you!!
Natalie
Hal

Post by Hal »

Great news, congratulations to Richard and yourself!

Hal.
Andy

Post by Andy »

Wow GReat news!!!

although it is pain ful it is TOTALLY worth it in the end.

Best of luck

Andy
We are the way we are, if we werent, I wouldnt be me and you wouldnt be you!

www.lltgl.org.uk
Elaine

Gr8 news Richard :D

Post by Elaine »

Wonderful news best o luck 2 u :lol: :D :wink:

best wishes Elaine UK ;) :D :P :roll: :wink:
Kelly

Post by Kelly »

Carolyn

That is fantastic news. :D

I cant wait for Peter to get "that call"

Really do hope that all goes well.

Lots of Love and good luck

Kelly XX
ImageImage

Life is like a box of chocolates, you can never get enough
Rik

Post by Rik »

What marvelous news!!!! :D :D :D

you must be still so over the moon right now ... hope everything settles down for Richard quickly and he gets on with the meds too ...

whats a wonderful way to start a morning reading your post!!!
Congratulations once again :0)

Petes turn will come Kelly ... when your least expecting it!!! ... honest
:0)XXX
Rachel in NY

Post by Rachel in NY »

Congratulations to both of you! Wow! Just hang in there, every day will get better and better, and the worry/wait is over :D

-r
Image Image

"When life keeps giving you lemons, get to work and make a tall frosted pitcher of icy cold lemonade."
George

Post by George »

Great news for you both, good luck for the future and hope the pains soon subsides.
Julie

Yipppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!

Post by Julie »

Caroyln & Richard,

I am absolutely thrilled to read your news. Excellent. :D
Congratulations to you both.

Lots of love,
Julie
xxx
Bruno

great news

Post by Bruno »

just keep up on the meds. /labs and fluid intake!!!!

oh what a feeling!!!!
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi,

I'm very happy for you and your new kidney, fantastic news

best wishes

mike