Cardiovascular calcification

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

jooms

Cardiovascular calcification

Post by jooms »

My wife seems to have calcification in heart, arteries, stomach, intestine. Probably due to years of calcium based phosphate binders. Last year she had a parathyroidectomy. She now takes Sevelamar. I have looked at some of the medical journals on the subject but there doesn't seem to be anything that can be done to reverse the process.
Anyone else heard different?
Angel

Re:Calcification

Post by Angel »

I have severe peritoneal calcification and was also told my vessels were clogged. In fact I had been denied a transplant because of it. I changed doctors and he immediately put me on Sevelemar and eventually told me that nothing has been proven to work but there are theories out there. He is trying the low calcium approach-whereby you restrict the calcium intake going in and your body hopefully realises it is needed so takes it back from where there is excess. I had my first update scan a couple of months ago and it showed that I had NO vascular calcification whatsoever and probably never had had. I was so, so angry and I don't know where I stand on having a transplant but the reason for the unique approach was to clear some away and if they could try it on me maybe it would be worth asking your consultant. Feel free to PM me if you want anymore details. :)