grapefruit juice

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

jooms

grapefruit juice

Post by jooms »

10 years ago my wife received kidney from her brother. Less than 2 years later she was back on dialysis. This year we discovered the cause might have been due to grapefruit juice. After years of restricted diet she drank a lot of GJ immediately after her operation.

I thought I might share this information.
The drug at the time was cyclosporine. There are now other anti-rejection drugs which are not inhibited by GJ.

Check this site
www.powernetdesign.com/grapefruit
Elaine

Grapefruit juice

Post by Elaine »

Hiya sorry to hear that. Yes suprised no-one told u about not having grapefruit juice etc interacting with medication etc. Especially with such important issues transplant etc :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
I often find leaflets in pharmacy bag and they tell us too about not having G juice even with cholesterol drugs too.

Good of you to remind every1 of the importance/ relevance of drug interactions.

good luck best wishes Elaine ;) UK
pamom2

Post by pamom2 »

It's a shame you wasn't told about it. My coordinator just warned me about grapefruit last week before I start my meds this week.
Take care and good luck!
Doolally

Post by Doolally »

I've never been told about GJ either, after 3 years of meds. I eat grapefruit quite a lot. I guess I'd better stop?? I'm taking azathioprine so maybe it doesn't react in the same way?? Better safe than sorry I suppose.

Is there any other food that reacts with the various drugs that I should know about - immunos, steroids, statins, BP, aspirin etc?

Sorry your wife didn't know about this sooner. Thanks for letting us know.

Ali
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

It works by altering the absorption rate of some drugs

http://www.google.com/search?q=Bergamot ... rt=10&sa=N

Bergamottin is the culprit substance in question. and it enhances (unpredicatably at the moment) the absorption of drugs like cyclosporin, some statins, and I think things like antibiotics as well.
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
Doolally

Walking, Talking Encyclopedia

Post by Doolally »

JMan, You're a mind full of knowledge! Thanks. Ali
BrendaM

Grapefruit juice

Post by BrendaM »

Anyone on cyclosporine should have been told by their neph that they should NOT to drink it within a few hours of taking the drug as part of the initial premed run through it says as much on our info leaflet in the pack. We avoid it totally just in case
regards
BrendaM
JMan

Re: Walking, Talking Encyclopedia

Post by JMan »

Ali in Eastbourne wrote:JMan, You're a mind full of knowledge! Thanks. Ali
Dunno about that, google is good though.

I guess you pick up a few things over 20 odd years
jooms

GJ

Post by jooms »

Was this common knowledge 10 years ago?
Everyone else seems to know about this.
nycpetit

Common knowledge

Post by nycpetit »

I was warned of grapefruit and grapefruit dangers probably as long ago as 15 years. I took a lot of allergy medication as a child, and it was especially with Seldane (not sure if this drug even exists anymore) that grapefruit was a clear no-no.

It was, I believe, written up about in newspapers, and on television quite a few years back. And I would say ten years ago, yes it was common knowledge. Cyclo and many, many drugs, Prograf, Cellcept, all say "no grapefruit juice." As a consequence, I don't think I've had it for a good 25 years plus.

I am so sorry that it was not made clear to you. If you can do some further research on it, you might be able to find that you have a case on your hands. I would have thought doctors especially could have given you that warning to follow. It interacts with far more things that not, and many medications beyond immunosuppressants.
Natalie
debbie

Post by debbie »

This weekend when on tx ward I noticed a pt having g/f segments for his breakfast. Later when speaking with him he mentioned he was 5 days post tx. I queried which immunosuppressants (sp!) he was on. He said neoral, he was having C2 levels done, the same as rest of us so I asked why he was eating g/f. He didn't realise he shouldn't be!! It might explain why the kidney was not settling down properly. I found it quite hard to believe that he didn't know cos I had my 1st tx in same unit 10yrs ago and was aware of it then so someone had overlooked a very important issue here. He mentioned it to nursing staff who agreed with me and were adamant they had told him.
JMan

Post by JMan »

So they told him... They may well have

Its still no excuse on the part of the nursing staff.. Sorry but the stress of having a general anaestetic and a major op like ktx is enough to make anyone miss a small detail like that.

They should have been more aware.

(just my 2 cents)
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Live to Fly
Nikki

Gf juice

Post by Nikki »

Hi all, I was told about GF but here's a silly question for you all.....I noticed on my bottle of Head & shoulders citrus shampoo yesterday that it had GF extracts........is that a problem? does it get absorbed into your blood stream? x :?
JMan

Headn SHoulders!

Post by JMan »

Technically ANYTHING you put on your skin can absorb through it (this is how smokers and various other med patches work.)

BUT I'd doubt there's enough 'grapefruit extract' in shampoo to cause problems?? Good question though ..

You could try contacting their 'customer careline' if they have one or P&G (Proctor & Gamble the manufacturers)
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Live to Fly
Bruno

watch out for citrus drinks

Post by Bruno »

some drinks like sunny d or delight have grapefruit juice in the mix also....

please read the lables....i found this out when i had to go back on dialysis also. some meds. state do not take with gj or eat gj. as a precaution i just stay away from all citrus even though i love manderine oranges!.