grapefruit juice

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

R30

Interesting Question

Post by R30 »

I asked one of the nurses in my transplant clinic last Thursday about Grapefruits. No one on the Ward had told me to avoid it, but I'm pretty clued up about things like this - thankfully. She told me that I had to stay off both juice and fresh grapefruit, but said I could still drink cans like Lilt - even though it contains grapefruit juice.......? She couldn't give any explanation for this when I questioned this statement...
Do any of you think it's really safe for me to drink this, or should I stay away as a precaution?
Secondly, I have taken the decision to switch to a mainly organic diet after my tx as I do not want to pump more chemicals into myself than those which I am now forced to take. Has anyone else done this since their tx, and did you notice any difference in the way you felt etc? I just feel that I should try to stay as healthy as possible to give my mum's kidney the best possible chance of maintaining its health.
Ruth
amanda in CA

grapefruit/starfruit

Post by amanda in CA »

I am sure the amount of grapefruit in Lilt is pretty small but personally I never drank anything with grapefruit in when my kidney transplant was working. I think that abstinence from grapefruit is a small price to pay for a functioning transplant.

grapefruit is not the only thing that should be avoided, I know that starfruit should also be avoided, I presume for the same reasons that grapefruit does. I think that they both contain an enzyme that affects the levels of immuno-suppressants in the body. Amanda
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

I wondered about this.. possibly Lilt is heated (pasturised) somewhere in the process and this alters the active ingredient..???

NOW I'm wondering if I've spent 4 years abstaining from ice cold lilt!!!!!

Argh... mind you.. pineapple, good quality apple (such as Copella) and carbonated water over ice gives a VERY nice Lilty type drink:D Add a good squeeze of lemon as well

:D:D
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
Nikki

GF juice

Post by Nikki »

:D Hi all, hope you're all well?
I was told that I could have it but not an hour either side of my prograf, I don't eat it/drink it v often but it sounds like some of you have suffered because of it. It seems awful that we're all being told different things about it, shouldn't all the consultants decide whether its safe or not and then tell us the same thing!? I know they're all busy and wonderful people but as dramatic as it sounds (I am a drama queen!!) this little fruit could mean life or death!
xx :?
Hal

Post by Hal »

On a humorous note: why would you want to drink or eat it anyway, its horrible !!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

(Sorry I thought it was funny anyway)
Rik

Post by Rik »

absolutely Hal ... 100% with you on that!!
think its best I stick to my scotch and coke eh!!!!
though ... for breakfast I'll probably not have the coke ... far too early in the morning for fizzy drinks dont you think!!
Rachel in NY

Post by Rachel in NY »

I agree with you Rik.. I wouldn't ruin my morning with Coke either. That's why I had a tall glass of Pepsi & Ice with a straw this morning!
Image Image

"When life keeps giving you lemons, get to work and make a tall frosted pitcher of icy cold lemonade."
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

I miss my grapfruit:( esp with sugar and a few drops of Angostura bitters

J