Does anyone know how Ruth is doing? (R30)

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

nycpetit

Does anyone know how Ruth is doing? (R30)

Post by nycpetit »

I think she was having her transplant October 25th. And her mom was her donor. Hey Ruth, if you are home, or able to post, let us know how you are doing.

I've been thinking of you all week!
Elaine

Ruths Transplant ;)

Post by Elaine »

Yeh info is correst I think?

I too have been thinkuing about Ruth and wish her all very best o luck and speedy recovery :wink: I have sent pm but may not have access to net whilst in hospital :shock: I have visited the unit shes having her op so can visualise where she is etc. :D

nice to know we thinking of her :wink:

best wishes Elaine ;)
Mike

Post by Mike »

I was wondering how she was doing as well.
Has anyone heard anytthing yet?
Hope she is ok
R30

I got my kidney!

Post by R30 »

Hi everyone
This is the first time I have been able to post since my transplant on 25 October. Basically, everything has gone very well. My mum came out of hospital on Monday, and I came home yesterday (only been in hospital for 10 days...). We both managed to catch a bug in hospital, and spent two or three days feeling crappy, but I was up and about the day after the op. The nursing staff are amazed that we have both done so well.
As ever, the food was awful, so I had two of my sisters bring food in, but this was a small price to pay.
The only thing that could put a spanner in the works is that I have put on 2 stone (!) since last Monday in fluid, and don't seem to be passing it out. There is the possibility that my new ureter has slightly detached itself, or that my bladder has been nicked by the catheter, leaving a slight hole; either way, this means that urine is leaking into my abdomen (and now down my legs) and will mean further surgery (aaaarrrggghhhhh). However, it also may be that although my bloods are fine (I went down from a creatinine of 900 the day before my op, to 278 the day after, and am currently on 114), I just need a few large doses of Frusemide to see it off. I will let you all know.
My mum is in little discomfort and has been walking the dogs since yesterday! Considering she's 70, I'm amazed too.
Having all the tubes etc. out was relatively pain free; it felt a bit weird, but was no problem.
Thank you for all the kind thoughts you have sent us both - it has meant alot to me. The national newspaper office has got hold of my story through my local paper (for which I did an article about two weeks ago), and want to run a national story about both my mum and I to try and boost people signing the national transplant register. If this happens, I will let you know as any publicity has got to be positive publicity...? I would be interested to know what you all think of this, and whether you think it's the right thing to do. I am aware that they are just trying to sell papers, but if they do it the right way, I see no harm.
Take care all and I'll be in touch.
Ruth xx (R30)
Elaine

hiya ;)

Post by Elaine »

Hiya Ruth sooo good to hear from u . Glad transplant went well but sorry to hear about ??possible complications xtra weight etc :shock: . Lets hope things gona 'sort' themselves out real soon?

Just out of curiosity did they remobve u mums kidney via laprascopic? or open surgery??

Be good to read an article about u etc :D Hopefully a news article would be something positive about transplants etc, but know wot u mean sometimes feels a little too personal depending wots printed etc. :wink:

Many people been asking about u so pleased to know u are home ;)
Did u have op @ Bristol?? we attend kids Bristol but have been to adult Bristol?

best wishes 2 u & u family ;) Elaine .Wilts UK
Angel

Re:Ruth

Post by Angel »

Hi Ruth.

So good to hear all has gone well. I believe you had your surgery at Southmead. I attend there and my good friend from my dialysis unit just had a kidney from her husband on Monday there. I have heard she is doing ok too. Keep us uipdated and lets hope they sort the fluid problems out quickly. :)
Hal

Post by Hal »

Hi Ruth,

Glad you are doing well ... and hope the fluid problem resolves itself with frusemide rather than surgery.

If you want to do the national newspaper ... go for it - yes they want to sell papers but the publicity works both ways. On the other hand, if you don't fancy the exposure, no one would blame you for passing on it.

Best Wishes,

Hal.
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Congrats

Post by JMan »

Congrats n Celebrations :)

Hope you do get the fluid things sorted via frusimide. Its tweaking the dose to get it just right thats the trick ;)

Like Hal said if you feel 'up for it' media wise. Go for it, if not, its your decision. The media LOVES a success story, esp with transplants.

Personally I'm beginning to think LRT's are the way to go :D
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
Rik

Post by Rik »

Hi Ruth glad the Tx went well ... with exceptions unfortunately ...
your mum sounds an amazing lady too!!!!

hope that everything gets sorted for you soon but it sounds like your already doing well with your levels anyway :)

keep in touch and do let us know how your getting on ...

another fine bit of good news this week :) ...
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Ruth
Really pleased that the transplant went well for yourself,and your mum. Hope everything gets sorted out soon and you continue to make a good recovery.
Best wishes,
Lorna
xxxxx
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi Ruth,

I'm really happy for you that it went well and I would go for the newspaper story as it would be good publicity.

best wishes

Mike :D
nycpetit

Finally!

Post by nycpetit »

I am so glad to hear you are out and it's over with.

I had a ton of fluid post-op as well. Did they give you any furosemide in the hospital via intravenously (neck line or IV)? They did for me. Which I remember at the time i thought odd. I thought to myself, "Now why did you bloat me to now have to give me diuretics to rid me of it?"

But they want the kidney basically floating and saturated at first.

It sounds like maybe they didn't stay on top of it (a better idea than operation, no? :wink: ) in the hospital and just kept adding fluids, which can certainly begin to compound. You must be rather uncomfortable, I am so sorry for that. My stone and a half (this is a rough conversion with my American/rusty metric math) was uncomfortable as well, but they gave me 20mg intravenously twice a day for about three and a half days at the hospital. So that helped drastically, and they told me to even hold off on fluids for a day or two after the operation. Well, to not drink too much, less than I was putting out.

Let us know, please, how you are doing!!

I am hoping for further speedy recovery for you!
Natalie
R30

Bloat and Stuff

Post by R30 »

Hi Natalie
Thanks for your posting - good to know that I'm not the only one!
They really didn't keep on top of it in hospital (in fact, the nursing care in general left a lot to be desired), but I managed to pursuade my Consultant yesterday to start me on 40mg of Frusemide per day to try and get rid of some of the fluid. Today I have hardly been off the loo (sorry to be so graphic)!
Unfortunately, even though I seem to have a lot of fluid on, I also seem to get dehydrated still, and am currently nursing a headache and feeling a little odd.
By the way, were you given any advice to stay off alcohol with your new kidney? I asked at hospital but no one seemed to be able to give me an answer. Upon reading the instructions for Cellcept and Prograf, it tells me that I shouldn't drink alcohol whilst taking these drugs, but the hospital said that in moderate amounts "it SHOULD be ok...". Not sure what that means...? I'm not really a drinker anyway, but with Xmas coming up, I was hoping that I could join my family in a toast at least.
Great to hear from you and I hope your kidney is doing well too - let me know.
Ruth
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

If you can cut back sugar & salt in your diet (not too much) this MAY help the frusimide to shift fluid, or at least balance it from tissues to where its needed (so you don't feel so dehydrated).

The only advice I was given is use alchohol in moderation. I was esp careful during the first 6 - 12 months of my transplant... Main risks are from dehydration as far as I know. That an changes in your normal judgement if you drink too much;) Moving about, when you can also helps that fluid to shift.. even if its just a short walk in morning and evening. There may well be some fluid retained around the op site as tisues slowly heal up.
The important thing is to keep drinking PLENTY of normal mixed fluids esp with those drugs you are on...

Other than that.. Enjoy:) I shall be having a few at Xmas:)

Cheers
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
R30

Fluid Retention

Post by R30 »

Hi all
I am glad to say that a single tablet of Frusemide is working as I have lost 4kg in the last two days - so hopefully, no need for further surgery.
I am not so happy to report that I went back up to the Ward at Southmead yesterday to pick up my EPO pen, to find it has been closed due to a vomiting and diarrhoea bug which started the day after I left. Strangely enough, both my mother and myself experienced nausea last weekend, and the nursing staff put it down to "tiredness"...... the cheek of it. Having experienced the nursing care on the Ward, I can report that it left a lot to be desired - and having spoken to three other patients this week at my transplant clinic, they feel the same. The nursing hygiene was appalling. Just yesterday, on the Ward door it clearly stated that anyone entering or leaving the Ward (staff) had to use Spirigel on their hands. I saw at least four staff either enter or leave in the ten minutes I was there and not one of them used it. A sad state of affairs when you consider that half of the people on the Ward are immuno-compromised in some way or shape. Not only that, but there were two MRSA bays at the top of the ward, and the patients were permitted to walk down the corridor freely mixing with the other transplant patients.... I leave you to decide whether this is right or not.
Personally, I hope I'm never admitted to this Ward again. I may choose to have further transplants at John Radcliffe in Oxford.
Ruth