epopen

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Mike

epopen

Post by Mike »

just a quick question about the Epo pen. I have been using it for 2 weeks now and I noticed an air bubble in the cartridge after injecting yesterday and it definately wasn't there before.

I think I must be doing something wrong but I followed the instructions perfectly??

I spoke to my brother who uses the same type and he has never come across this and said it is not possible?

I'm going to speak the the anemia nurse tomorrow but if I have done something wrong she's gonna tell me off as it is very expensive stuff :shock:

anyone have any ideas??

mike :D
Bruce

epo pen

Post by Bruce »

Mike:

I'm not familiar with the epo pen; I use a syringe. But I do know you don't want to inject air into your body. Talk to your nurse right away. Good luck. --Bruce
Elaine

EPO pen

Post by Elaine »

Hiya Mike after speaking to my daughter whose been on it for 2 yrs she too says u cant always get all air bubbles out although flicks the pen prior to injecting the needle into her. :D

A small amount of air bubble 'shouldn't make too much difference but worth checkin with u renal nurses etc

. Good luck Elaine :D
Mike

Post by Mike »

I have been waiting for the anemia nurse to call me back but she hasn't so far today :roll:

I am farily concerned about the air bubbles as I know that I really do not want to be injecting air into my body! I am due to give myself another shot tomorrow but it should be ok for that one.

I think it is doubtful i will hear from her today but I will chase her up on it monday and I am due to go in for a iron IV on wednesday so hopefully I can see her then.

thanks

Hal

Post by Hal »

Hi Mike,

I had the pen before. I found it a complete pain in the backside to be honest!

When I had to change the cartridge it seemed to mess up and EPO squirted all over the place - obviously a waste of money. I was sure I was following the instructions correctly.

So I packed in the pen and asked for syringes instead. I don't think it makes much difference size wise - by the time you have the pen and the bits in the box, its gonna be the same size as a few syringes (if you have to travel anywhere).

Hal
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

Hi Mike...

Which Pen do you have?

This one? http://www.roche.nl/product_specs.php?n ... %20patroon

For some reason they don't seem to mirror this excellent dutch site in English..

Aaanyway...

The tiny bubble is of no worry.. I've found its almost impossible to get ALL the air out when mixing (some of it settles later on after you mix a cartridge) and the amount in there is in NO WAY enough to cause you any danger..

I asked my heamo nurses some years ago about how much air one has to inject to cause harm and basically it is quite a lot.. MORE than a few cm worth of haemo line..
Of course NONE is ideal but the teeny bubble in your EPO shouldn't cause worry :D

I was sat in a cafe the other day at hosp and 2 medical students who happened to be diabetic were describing how they used to use their insulin pens to have fights when drunk!!!!! (Presumably by squirting each other!!)

So now you know how the NHS money of today is being wasted by the docs of tomorrow!!!!

J:)
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi Jman,

Yes that's the pen I have, I know what Hal means as the first time I put the cartridge in and set it up it squirted everywhere :roll: and as it is such expensive stuff I was just a bit concerned.

I used it yesterday and it was fine, I'm due in for my monthly bloods on tuesday so I'll mention it to them then.

cheers

mike
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

Its true that you lose a tiny amount of EPO when priming the pen with a new cartridge, but this is normal operation. If its squirting out in large amounts you've probably forgotton to reset the pen before putting the new cart in. The 'plunger' has to be wound back.

I've been using the RecoPen for about 10+years (since the first model) and always liked it. The original was sleeker IMO.. and you don't get a nice case with the new one for all your needles/sterets etc. Aaaah economies!

:D:D
J
R30

Epo Pen

Post by R30 »

Hi Mike
I have been using an Epo Pen for about five months now. I can definitely confirm that I have injected air into myself on many occasions. Basically, as you are injecting sub-cutaneously, there is no risk. The only risk would be if you were to inject directly into a vein - that would be a real danger, but intra-muscular and sub-cutaneous injections pose no risk with air bubbles (as long as they are small).
I can never seem to get all the air out of my pen, but it doesn't stop me from using it.
Hope this helps.
Ruth
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi Ruth,

I spoke to the anemia nurse on wednesday and she told me not to worry for the same reasons you gave. She said that the small amount of air in there would do no harm as there is air in the body anyway. She said she wasn't sure of the exact amount but you would have to inject something in the region of 10ml of air before it would be of concern so I'm not too worried.

Hope you are well and everything is going well with your new kidney.