Iron infusion

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

geduramah

Post by geduramah »

I know that the topic is an oldie, but for anyone reading, it may help.

I am under the care of Hull Royal Infirmary, where I visited the medical day care unit for my infusion. I cant remmeber the name of the liquid but it was dark blood like...I was reassured that there was no blood in there, its just a man made iron with seyline.

When I got there they asked me a few questions re allergies etc..then they hooked me up to the drip where there was a small tester bag, with a diluted form of liquid, to see if there was any allergic reaction. A nurse sat with me for the 1st 15 mins then after that it took about an hour for the small bad to empty.
AFter that bag, I was hooked up to a larger more concentrated fomula, which lasted about 3 hours. I was given plenty of hot drinks and a sarni at lunch time. I was allowed to use my mobile phone, laptop etc..but I chose to read for my exam that was taking place the following day!
For the 1st part you will be asked to use a bed..just in case!! afterwards, if there is room you can stay on that or you will be offered a comfy chair. I was fortunate enough to keep my bed which was great having the nurses running around after me ( I was a good patient!!).
All in all, I was there foraround 5 hours. There is nothing to worry about, only ha towards the end you will be glad to be able to get your arm back, it can go a little dead after a while.
Live each day as though it would be your last.

www.facebook.com/leanne.p.k