laparoscopic kidney removal

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

jooms

laparoscopic kidney removal

Post by jooms »

My wife on haemodialysis. Thinking about options for live donor transplant.
Is laparoscopic kidney removal a normal/frequent/usual/rare technique carried out in transplant centres in UK?
Elaine

Lap removal

Post by Elaine »

Hello as far as I know all units vairy according to what facilaties and surgeons etc they have available at the time. My daughter was going to have both her kidneys removed by lap due to disease but thankfully not required at mo :roll: . However as far as I know in UK not many units actually remove kidneys required for donating / transplant due to risk of damaging the donated kidney. In USA it's alot more common to be removed by laprascopic than UK. Best to speak to u relevant unit and discuss options available to you??

best wishes & good luck Elaine ;) :lol:
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

I think Elaine is our resident expert on Laparoscopic stuff here in UK??

True tho it is slowly becoming more commonplace. I beleive (could be wrong) that Guy's is using it for LRD's (Live related donors) Bristol is, ask around or ask about search online..
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
jooms

Post by jooms »

Many thanks Elaine and Jman for replies. Is Laparoscopic Kidney removal a "better" method or does it depend on donor/circumstances/surgeon?

The wound presumably is smaller but does the surgery take longer/more expensive?

If a donor is found, is there any choice by donor on the method of kidney removal?
LW Adams

Post by LW Adams »

jooms,
My wife donated me an kidney back on the 19 Oct and it was done lapra. and she was out of the hospital on the 22 Oct and all she has is 3 little holes and one incen about 2 in long just below her belly button. She has realy no pain and is doing very well, I will recomend this to anyone wanting to do this.
Hope this helps .
Have fun and live life to the fullest. LW Adams
Elaine

Post by Elaine »

Hi just out of curiosity wondered which area u live in just interested which units use Laprascopic procedure for kidney donation etc for transplants.
It has to be a way forward although Uk behind USA where I think most of transplants are done Laprascopically in comparison to UK and many other countries? I suppose until Transplant surgeons are fully up 2 'speed' doing Laprascopic proceedure and feel they ahve a good % skill to prevent risk of damaging the donated kidney etc. :roll:

Yes the recovery rate and post- op healing etc recovery is soo much quicker, although have been advised often more risk that an open nephrectomy, risk of bleeding and complications etc. The concern is risks of blleding etc while Laprascopic surgery would then have to maybe follow on to open nephrectomy if?? complications. This was advised to us when considering removing both my daugter kidneys which thankfully is put on hold at moment.

hope this info is useful best wishes Elaine :wink: :D
LW Adams

Post by LW Adams »

Elaine,
I live here in the states and we had the option of removal and my wife decided to have it done lapo and the only thing that help her decide is the surgeon that done it is rated in the top 5 surgons in this country on this . But so far so good she has a check up Fri and will let you know how it turns out.
So have fun and live life to the fullest. LW Adams
Elaine

gr8 news :D

Post by Elaine »

Hiya sounds like in 'safe hands' laprascopic organ donation etc. :D
Glad to hear alls well and less post op recovery etc from Laprascopic proceedure. Infact surgeon my daughter saw was I think from USA who offered to remove both her kidneys laprascopically, he teaches other surgeons the proceedure etc. It's gotta be the way forward and can also make such a difference in people chosping to donate to their loved one etc in the future maybe???

good luck 2 u both Elaine UK ;)