Urethra stent removal

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

debbie

Urethra stent removal

Post by debbie »

I'm going in next tues 26th to have my stent removed. The renal surgeon is doing it and I've opted for general anaesthetic. Has anyone got any information for me, is it painful afterwards. I'm bit concerned that it will hurt to pee after. All advice appreciated :D
Rachel in NY

Post by Rachel in NY »

hi debbie,

congratulations on your transplant! i've had numerous stent insertions & removals. One thing I can say, is that they always work differently. Sometimes they're uncomfortable, sometimes you don't even feel that its in you, and sometimes its so painful you hobble around. That's when its 'in' you. As far as the removal, they basically pull it out 1-2-3 so it gives you that momentary gasp of pain, and then you're just sore for a few days. They put a pain relieving gel on, but it doesn't do a thing. Every person is built differnetly though, but for the most part, I won't say its painless, but its very bearable. If you're worried about the pain, you can opt for a sedative. They'd give it to you in a shot or through an IV line, and you'll be out in a flash. THey do their thing (it takes abt a minute) and you'll be up 10 minutes later.

Full general anesthesia in an operating room is usually reserved for those that may run into complications. Like if the stent became calcified in the ureter, and they have to pry it off, etc.

But anyway, once its out, it'll hurt to pee a bit and kyou'll be generally sore, but you'll know that its gone ;) And that's just one more step closer to your life with a new kidney :)

Congratulations again, and if you have any questions just ask.
Image Image

"When life keeps giving you lemons, get to work and make a tall frosted pitcher of icy cold lemonade."
Michele in TN

Post by Michele in TN »

I had my stint removed three weeks ago today. I went under general because they also removed my pd cath at that time.
I had no problems whatsoever and it actually felt better once the stint was out.
I was back in school full time the next monday.

Hth, Congratulations.
Michele, 30
Mom to Emily, 11
Wife to Chris
Transplanted 07/29/04
Creatinine 0.9 2/07
stopping prednisone due to severe renal osteodystrophy 11/06
debbie

it's done

Post by debbie »

Thanks to all who replied. The stent was removed under GA on Tues. Only under about 20 mins but just couldn't face it when awake. :D So far had no soreness or problems. Today is the last of my twice a week check ups, so only Monday from next week, which will save me some petrol!!! Shouldn't really moan cos I realise that lots of others have to travel more than 60 mile round trip but nevertheless still glad to drop one journey.
Elaine

Gr8 news Debbie ;)

Post by Elaine »

Debbie gr8 news glad u stent out and over n done with ;)
Also glad to hear that u are doing well and appointments reducing

best wishes & good Luck Elaine ;) :P
debbie

Post by debbie »

Well that'll teach me to post that all is ok... went to bed Fri eve feeling not quite right but not too rough, woke up with raging temperature. Went to Tx unit, where urine sample on Thurs had grown bugs so had 24 hrs of IV ceph and 3 L saline but feeling better now. Surgeon wasn't too impressed when I asked why I wasn't given any cover after stent removal, his opinion is that not everyone develops infection but I most certainly did :D Got to drink @ least 4 L daily now which I am really struggling with.
Rachel in NY

Post by Rachel in NY »

Try to see if you can get cranberry pills. or drink loads of cranberry juice. it keeps the urinary tract clear. At least it tries to anyway. I too, have always gotten a bad infection after anything having to do with stents, and at some point my Dr. learnt to just give me antibiotics and it'll save alot of hassle in the end.
Image Image

"When life keeps giving you lemons, get to work and make a tall frosted pitcher of icy cold lemonade."
debbie

Post by debbie »

Thanks for advice Rachel, I really dislike cranberry but can tolerate it hot in something like apple and cranberry fruit tea :D . Feel better today although just got a script for anti nausea tablets as combination of everything is making it hard to eat or drink. Me and antibiotics don't mix well!!!
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi debbie,

Hope you feel better soon, I know what you mean about antibiotics! I've been on them for a week now.

I really hate them as they make me feel sick and I've still got 2 weeks of the course to go :(

anyway hope things get better for you very soon

Mike :D
Elaine

Hope u feel betetr real soon ;) Debbie & Mike

Post by Elaine »

Debbie & Mike just read u posts hope u feelin better real soon. Seems like 2 steps forward n 1 back sometimes eh? :?

take care and best wishes Elaine UK ;)