Travelling from Italy to the US on HD

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Marziac

Travelling from Italy to the US on HD

Post by Marziac »

Hello all,
I've posted here before about my dad who has been on HD for a few months and finally doing really well. Anyways, he and my mom wanted to come and visit us in the States in February because we're having a baby. Do you know how he can go about getting his dialysis treatments covered over here?
What I've read says that he should get authorization from the Italian NHS, then pay the dialysis centers over here and ask for a refund when he gets back to Italy (yeah, right...). How much is the average cost of a dialysis session? Is there any private insurance that would cover this?
I went to globaldialysis.com but it doesn't talk about Italy, it only lists insurance companies that would cover American citizens travelling abroad.
Thanks for any input you can give me
Marzia
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

Not sure about from Italy to the US.

Withing the EC dialysis treatment is usually paid for by the home government, reciprocally. I'm *assuming* its the same in Italy as here in the UK but the Italian equivalent of the Department of Health should be able to tell you more.

Obviously the US is outside of the EC area

Certainly if a UK patient needs to travel to the US most times they have to pay unless they can get a grant from something like the BKPA, etc. Perhaps there are similar setups and organisations in Italy? I'm assuming its similar for the US?

http://www.dialisi.it/

&

http://fit.supereva.it/nefrologia.freeweb/index.html?p

*might be* of some help

if they are agreeing to reciprocate the cost then that may be the way it works? You don't say where you've read that??
Average cost of dialysis is 200 - 300 USD. (as far as I know, and depending on what systems they use, I believe I've seen less than 200 for places that recyc a patients dialyser, but I'm not keen on that idea and UK units tend not to do that).

I'm sure you could find an insurance co willing to cover the costs, but I think the premium may well be very very high.

THe other thing you will need to do (or your dads exisiting unit) is establish if the US unit has space, and what blood results and info they require before they will accept him. Most screen for things like HIV, Hep, and require these to be run before accepting anyone.

Good luck with arranging the visit (and with the baby ;) )
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
Marziac

Post by Marziac »

Thank you so much, you are so knowledgeable!!
The info on reimbursement I found on an Italian site after I did a google search with travelling abroad and dialysis.
I contacted the local HD unit here in Nebraska and they were very nice, they said the person who handles this type of thing will call me back with more info. Apparently they have had patients from other countries there before so they should know how it works.

Thanks again for your response

Marzia