The Original BMP-7 Study from 6/30/2003

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Impatient

The Original BMP-7 Study from 6/30/2003

Post by Impatient »

I found the original announcement of a study that showed that BMP-7 could reverse kidney failure in mice.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 234526.htm

I feel that this is too important of a discovery to allow a big drug company to stifle its development. The Curis website states that the drug was in late preclinical development and then licensed (on 11/26/2002) it to Ortho Biotech to complete its development.

http://www.curis.com/product_kidney.html

The Ortho Biotech website make no mention of BMP-7, which they should be quite proud of since they paid lots of money for the rights to it.

All it takes to begin clinical trials is to fill out a form and wait 30 days. If the FDA doesn't contact the lab they may begin. If they decided that they wanted to do more studies they should be lots of them being published. Instead there is basically silence.
Hal

Post by Hal »

Hi Impatient,

I am sure there are more complex things involved than just deciding to start a trial.

As they have stated further research needs to be carried out before a trial. For example, who will they try this drug out on ? What kind of conditions ? Who will they use as a control group ? ... plus I'm sure many other complex factors.

Yes the "potential" is there but its been trialed in mice and not humans. You hear many times of such a drug "might" help this or that condition because it worked in rats or mice - and then it doesn't work in humans.

Have you tried contacting the company to see if further research is ongoing ?

Regards,

Hal