mini caps falling off

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

amanda in CA

mini caps falling off

Post by amanda in CA »

Hi, has anyone had sporadic problems with minicaps working themselves off? I have had several occasions where the minicap has come off my catheter. The first time I had been on dialysis about a year and then about three came off in close succession, then recently the same thing happened again? I spoke to my dialysis nurse about it, querying whether it was a batch problem - well, of course, it couldn't be!! - It must be me that isn't tightening it properly. Strange how it happens several times and then not at all for a long while. I am supposed to clamp it off with an emergency clamp, not dialyse and then get the extension set changed at the earliest opportunity. I did do this and then it happened when I had no way of getting to the dialysis unit, so I'm a little guilty to admit that I simply did a drain out straightaway and then applied a new cap, fortunately I did not suffer any ill effects. I am intersted to know if other people have experienced this, because if they have and it's not just because I am a poor screwer :) then it's something that I think I will raise with Baxter. thanks in advance for your replies. Amanda
Bruce

mini-caps

Post by Bruce »

Hi Amanda,

I haven't had the problem, but screwing on a mini-cap is not rocket science and it's hard to figure how one could do it wrong more than once. I think the problem would have to be either in the transfer set or, as you said, in a bad batch of caps.

I have found Baxter to be very responsive to calls about their equipment and supplies and I would not hesitate to talk to them. They will probably ask for the caps that fell off if you saved them.

Good luck. --Bruce
R30

Minicaps

Post by R30 »

Hi Bruce
Interesting that you should say that - I had the same thing happen to me for the first time yesterday. I always make sure I screw the caps on tightly, and when I got home yesterday evening, the cap practically came off in my hand.
I would contact Baxter without delay. As for me, Fresenius have been fantastic at following things up if anything goes wrong with my CAPD equipment.
Hope this helps.
Ruth