Flu shots????

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Pam

Flu shots????

Post by Pam »

Hi all!
Just wondering about flu shots and if we are able to get them...I usually get mine at clinic and was told that they wouldn't be in until later in the month. Now, I am wondering if I can get one at all! :roll:
A lot of the places where they were offering flu shots have cancelled and I heard on our local news that if you haven't gotten a shot yet, you can just forget about it. :( What is it like where you guys are at?
Take care,
Pam
32 yr cadaver transplant recipient, now on peritoneal dialysis with the help of Audrey, my Homechoice machine... as of 4/3/09
Romans 8:28
Bruce

flu shots

Post by Bruce »

Pam--

I called my internist yesterday and had no trouble making an appointment for a flu shot for later this month. The receptionist said they had plenty of vaccine on hand. This doctor always orders his supply early so I guess he got what he needed before the shortage came about. Call around and check with your regular doctor and with local hospitals. Good luck. --Bruce
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

Hi this probably refers to THIS story.
http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ned=u ... D644348The
as the vaccine is produced in Mersey here in the UK

To my knowledge kidney (esp transplant) patients should avoid the 'flumist' vaccine. But ALWAYS check with your renal doc.
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
Pam

Post by Pam »

Thanks guys...I will call and ask. I hope that they have gotten it before the shortage like your doc, Bruce. I don't know why they wouldn't, but I was still a little unsure.
You are right, JMan, the mist that they administer through the nose is a LIVE virus and none of us needs THAT! :roll:
Best wishes,
Pam
32 yr cadaver transplant recipient, now on peritoneal dialysis with the help of Audrey, my Homechoice machine... as of 4/3/09
Romans 8:28
amanda in CA

flu vaccine

Post by amanda in CA »

Hi, I managed to get mine before the recall. However, I understand that a medical emergency is being called for so that all the flu vaccines there are available are diverted to drs. clinics and aways from pharmacies such as Walgreens. Don't know if that will happen but I would just keep calling your health center. Amanda
Angel

Flu shots

Post by Angel »

Last year our doctors surgery held flu clinics two days a week for the whole of the flu season. This year they started advertising in the middle of Sept that the first clinics would be 28th and 1st Oct-neither of these I could make. So I rang up this week for the appointment and was told no 28 year old needs a flu jab. :( She would NOT listen so off we trot to the surgery the following day and there are upto and above 30 people milling about waitng for jabs, so I missed that clinic. Now they cannot tell me when the next clinics will be as the manager is not there. So what with all this and the flu shortage this is starting to be a worry I don't need.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

I know how you feel Angel. I phoned local surgery for an appointment for my flu jab on Wednesday, only to be told there's a national shortage of flu jabs and there won't be any in stock in this area until at least the beginning of November! And they won't book any appointments until the vaccines arrive and with only one or two "flu clinics" per week, it's gonna take months to get through everyone.
I also get grilled by the jobsworth receptionist (who knows me personally) why a young(ish) person needs a flu jab - as if it's any of their business!
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

Typical attitude of 'jobsworth' admin (just IMO of course I'm sure they are lovely people :lol: )

I've been lucky enough to get my jab from my GP with no problems, no more than a 5 min wait and no appointment.

All I can suggest is that if people give the 'why do you need a flu jab at your age' nonsense quote them the NHS text back at them as per:

briefly the relavent information is:

The flu jab doesn’t just protect elderly people, you can get the vaccination if you are:

• 65 or over,

• living in an old people’s home or nursing home,

• over 6 months old and have a long-term (chronic) condition such as a heart problem, asthma, kidney disease, diabetes, or

• have a lowered immune system due to disease or treatment such as steroid medication or cancer treatment.

the latter 2 points apply to 'us lot':)

taken from http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/misc/ht.asp?ID=372

Good luck to you all with the quest for the jab. Of course if you are in any way unsure check with your doc first.
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
amanda in CA

To Angel re. flu shots

Post by amanda in CA »

Hi, I suggest that you talk to your surgery's manager regarding this issue. It may not get you the flu shot any sooner but whoever it was blocking you from getting it needs to be informed of their error. I suspect that it was a receptionist? - they seem to like to be as obstructive as possible, I had a similar situation when I requested a PAP smear within the three year period. In this 'game' you have to be pretty persistent sometimes and not take 'no' for an answer. It's always a good idea to ask to speak to their supervisor if you aren't getting anywhere. Hope you get it soon, and let's hope that you don't get the flu, I would consider speaking to a solicitor if you do! Amanda