Help, I am in the dark

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

bizziowen

Help, I am in the dark

Post by bizziowen »

Can any body help, I am told that I have partial kidney failure,, I am a woman 50 years old, always been quite healthy, but now I am losing a lot of waight.. feel sick, especially in the morninghave had a lot of tests, and have been told my blood pressure is 180 over 120, and that I have to have a biopsy, and that I have 25 %.. what do I have to expect in the future,, how can I help myself,,,admit I am very nervous
please e.mail me
SteveUK

Post by SteveUK »

Hi there

I'll get straight to where you said "I have 25%....". You're not very specific, because you don't specify if you are at 25% kidney function loss or at 25% kidney function altogether.

If it is the first then, I would say they are giving you a biopsy, to find out "why" you have a partial loss. (I am beginning to assume you have 25% loss because of the word partial) There are various types of kidney diseases, and most of them some of the time, can be treated with steroids to slow the process of the kidneys going into failure.

Most important of all - try to relax a little. I don't say that lightly having been there myself - it's just a little easier in the long run. A biopsy is the only sure way of giving you a proper diagnosis. I know exactly how you must be feeling, and it's not easy at all. Some people are diagnosed early, and they live normal lives for a long time without ever requiring the need for treatment.

Take care and good luck with your biosy. Do keep us posted.
Steve
~I close my eyes, and This Is Yesterday~
My Band myspace!
bizziowen

Post by bizziowen »

Hullo Steve,, Very gratful for your reply,, I did not do very well in that message,, bit nervous,, I have 25% left.. I have had various blood tests, an (is it an MMR. or an MRI).. will have to look at papers and send a message with all the correct details. i really want to know what to expect, I am so pleased that you wrote,,, Do hope you are not too bad . thanks
please e.mail me
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Hello:

I wish I had 25% kidney function. Mine went below 16% and they started me on peritoneal dialysis. What that did was give me more energy and make me feel better. Dialysis itself is a pain in the neck, but like so much in life you learn to adjust to it and you cope. I just added it to the daily regimen I had for my diabetes.

Dialysis turned out not to be the end of the world, or even life, and if you keep reading this bulletin board you will find a lot of information and support along with a bunch of really great people.

Keep asking questions. Ask on this board. Ask your doctors. BUG your doctors. If you don't like the answers or feel you're not getting complete information find new medics. You have to take charge of your own condition--you're the one who has to live with it.

Good luck. Keep us posted. Feel free to e-mail me if you want.

Bruce
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

I can only echo Bruce's posting of keep asking questions.

Yes you will be the one who has to take charge, but just remember that you are not suffering this 'alone':) There are lots of us out here.

Welcome. and oh yes. Its normal to be nervous:D
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast