Beware of donors trying to charge you for their kidney...

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Bruno

Beware of donors trying to charge you for their kidney...

Post by Bruno »

this guy sent this to me. just in case you find an offer in your mailbox his email is I C [********@yahoo.com]
he wrote:
****** <*******@yahoo.com> wrote:

I am a healty man from Romania 34 year old and my type blood it's B
and I offer kidney but not for free (an amount of money ). If you are
interested please contact me

(how much?)

know you dont think at me like human being but its my health that I am in jeopardy so
the price its 9000 Euro but the price its negociable .
Sorry for the incoveninet to be so cruel but think that maybe after the transplant maybe I dont survive one year.
Sorry again and I am waiting the answer.

--needless to say i haven't heard back from him. some people are so ruthless. does anyone know where or how to report these type of scumbags?
susie

yahoo abuse reports

Post by susie »

Bruno,

Oh dear, what a nasty way of trying to get money out of people.

You should report abuse/unsolicited email/spam to yahoo.com

This page has the form with details they require

http://add.yahoo.com/fast/help/uk/mail/cgi_spam

and a link to click on to report abuse from yahoo.com addresses. Unfortunately to get the form you have to login as a member. Note the section on headers http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/mail/conf ... ig-11.html. You need to send the header as they have more complete details on the email origination.

Never reply spam or unwanted emails as this just lets the sender know that your email is an active account (and therefore worth further pestering),

Best regards

Susie
Hal

Post by Hal »

Hi Bruno,

I wouldn't even waste your time asking "how much?". The buying and selling of organs is illegal, and I would very much doubt you would anyone in the USA or UK etc to carry out such an operation.

By the way I've taken out the guy's email address, for privacy reasons (even though the guy was in the wrong).

The fact that he says I won't survive one year after the transplant, makes you think would you want a kidney from this person ? Its a sad world that people have to / want to resort to this,

Hal
Rik

Post by Rik »

Bruno I have PM'd you ... a reply to me or any mod would be greatly appreciated
oldborris

Post by oldborris »

this guy sent this to me. just in case you find an offer in your mailbox his email is I C [********@yahoo.com]
he wrote:
****** <*******@yahoo.com> wrote:

I am a healty man from Romania 34 year old and my type blood it's B
and I offer kidney but not for free (an amount of money ). If you are
interested please contact me

(how much?)

know you dont think at me like human being but its my health that I am in jeopardy so
the price its 9000 Euro but the price its negociable .
Sorry for the incoveninet to be so cruel but think that maybe after the transplant maybe I dont survive one year.
Sorry again and I am waiting the answer.
--needless to say i haven't heard back from him. some people are so ruthless. does anyone know where or how to report these type of scumbags?

Old Borris thinks: Oh dear, Oh dear, why are we getting our collective knickers in a twist over this? Are'nt we judging this Romanian geezer too prematurely, too harshly and without knowing all the facts.

Although I would not personally buy a kidney from anyone, this is more because of the risks involved rather than any moral judgement on the buying and selling of organs. Maybe the guy is in need of money and is willing to take the risk of selling his kidney. Why should he offer it free to a stranger? And why should a person who can aford it not buy it? Yeah, Yeah, I know it is illegal but I would not mind an illegal kidney keeping me alive and off dialysis

And tho' his English is no better than my kidneys [indeed a lot better!] is he not saying that he might not survive the transplant, not the recipient?

I don't know, without further knowledge and information, where people get the idea that he is a scumbag and ruthless. Maybe he is and maybe he is just a guy who sees the chance of making his life better and is willing to offer something of value in exchange.
Hal

Post by Hal »

Hi oldborris,

Personally I am not labelling the guy as ruthless or a scumbag. I would be in favour of a regulated system to make payments for organ donations.

However, receiving unsolicitied offers of kidneys from random people is not in my opinion "right".

Hal.