Gaining Too Much Weight

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

pamom2

Gaining Too Much Weight

Post by pamom2 »

Hi all! I hate to whine about things cause I know that there are a lot more people worse off than me but I can't take it anymore! Since being on the cycler I have gained 30 pounds and am still gaining. I bought a new pair of jeans two weeks ago that fit me perfect and I went to wear them today and can't get them snapped. I know that the dialysis solution has extra calories but I don't eat a lot and I take off enough fluid at night. Has anyone else been thru this and after a transplant does the weight come back off? I really hope so! I'd rather be on PD but at least when I was on hemo I wasn't gaining. Thanks for letting me vent!
Bruce

gaining weight

Post by Bruce »

I too am putting on weight with PD. I complained about it at a clinic visit and they referred me to their nutritionist who examined my diet and explained how much water is in a lot of the foods I eat. Even though I'm not eating much, I'm eating things I shouldn't be. I tend to retain water and water weighs 8 pounds/gallon. Also I am larger around the waist due to haveing a belly full of dialysate. --Bruce
anne

Post by anne »

Hi. Randy has been on the cycler for a couple months now. He has gained 10 lbs since his clinic visit last month. they told him to take off more fluid by using a stronger percentage of solution. now he will use the 4.5 solution every other night and the 2.5 every other night. hopefully that will help. it has to be uncomfortable having all that in your belly all the time. anne
Elaine

weight gain on p/d

Post by Elaine »

My daughter found smae prob - gained 12 kgs approx since starting p/d. She has nephrotic syndrome FSGS and apparantley fluid retention problems are a major concern. She tried the higher rate % glucos to try and shift some of the fluid but ended up increasing in body weight and fluid etc. :(

Since having to start emergency haemo 31/2 months ago she has lost all the weight she put on with p/d and fels sooo much more comfortable especially as she is only 16. :shock:

Good luck 2 u I just wish that we had been warned about the xtra weight gain b4 etc to help us make our own decision etc about which ytpe of dialyis etc would be suitable. I feel we had 'selective' info given and the medics had already decided to do p/d before we had made up our minds.

best wishes Elaine ;)
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

A good friend of mine found that cutting a lot of sugar and sodium out of her diet helped as she didn't retain 'as much' water/fluids as before.. You need to check with your dietician before making any big changes in your diet though.

Not sure if this is any help but I know how bad you can feel when you just can't get into those jeans!
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
LadySycamore

Re: Gaining Too Much Weight

Post by LadySycamore »

pamom2 wrote:Hi all! I hate to whine about things cause I know that there are a lot more people worse off than me but I can't take it anymore! Since being on the cycler I have gained 30 pounds and am still gaining. I bought a new pair of jeans two weeks ago that fit me perfect and I went to wear them today and can't get them snapped. I know that the dialysis solution has extra calories but I don't eat a lot and I take off enough fluid at night. Has anyone else been thru this and after a transplant does the weight come back off? I really hope so! I'd rather be on PD but at least when I was on hemo I wasn't gaining. Thanks for letting me vent!
I can relate. I've gained about 40 pounds in the last 2 years, but I have leveled off a bit in the last several months. I've had body image issues since age 8 when I started gaining weight, and around 1996 or so, I finally started losing weight and feeling great. However, when my kidneys failed in 2001, all that went straight to hell (in 2002 after starting PD), and now I'm back to being self conscience about my weight/appearance. Oh well, I guess it comes with the territory. Plus, my clothes fit horribly now. :evil: *shrugs*

Try a bit more exercise if you can manage it. Walking is a good start. It can't hurt, and then talk this over with a renal nutritionist and see what they say. I'm supposed to be on a renal diet, but it's hard to follow (in my opinion).

Anyway, good luck! :wink: 8)
Dialyze.org:
http://dialyze.org/forums/index.php
Chatroom, Support, Advocacy and more!

Dialyze.org MemberGroup on MSN:
http://groups.msn.com/Dialyze-orgMember ... sages.msnw
pamom2

Post by pamom2 »

Thanks for all the responses! The extra weight is terrible. I always feel bloated and my back is starting to ache. I really can't exercise cause I keep fracturing the bones in my foot (for no apparent reason). I am getting my transplant on Nov. 9th and hopefully after I stop PD the weight will come back off.
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Bones that go crack

Post by JMan »

Bone problems/renal osteoporosis *can* be one of the side effects of Prednisolone..

Just mentioning this as I snapped a bone in my foot doing nothing spectacular (steppping over some debris in the garden) and now am awaiting a DEXA (Dual Energy X-ray Absorptiometry) scan to check my bones out.
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast