Disability Living Allowance

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Doolally

Disability Living Allowance

Post by Doolally »

Hi, me again, I'm only new but I'm already making the most of this bulletin board!!

I wanted some advice about my Disability Living Allowance. I applied just over a year ago and didn't get it, now I have an appeal date in three weeks. I'm scared they still won't give it to me and I've gone through all the stress for nothing.

I had to give up work because I was too tired, weak etc. I get a lot of infections due to the immunos. I'm aware I may have more wrong with me than the kidney disease (maybe Fibromyalgia or something like that) but until my GP has finished running tests my main argument is my kidney disease.

If anyone has been through this themselves I would love any feedback about it, what aspects of kidney disease might they be most interested in. I'm not on dialysis yet and my kidneys are just about functioning. But there is so much in life I can't do and I could really use the money (because of having to give up work).

Should I get my nephrologist to write something (I feel bad hassling them when I know they're already busy)?

Please help me if you can. :?
Thanks, Ali
Hal

Post by Hal »

Hi Ali,

From what I am always told about the DLA (I don't claim it myself), is that you have to write the forms as if it is your worst day ... so you need to stress at the appeal how restricted you are in what you can do on such days.

I'm always told a lot of people get turned down to see how serious you are about appealing.

Getting a letter from your nephrologist may be useful to back you up - don't worry about them being busy - its important to get what you need. My advice would be to fax them and ask for a letter by when you need it (they by law must respond to a written request), unless your nephrologist is good about answering / responding to phone calls. If you don't have the fax number you should be able to get it from the doctor's secretary going by the hospital switchboard if you need to.

Good luck,

Hal.
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
Sueleic

Post by Sueleic »

Hi Ali
I sent you a personal PM
Hope you got it
Sue
Doolally

Army of supporters!!

Post by Doolally »

Hi anyone reading this!

I have my Disability Living Allowance Appeal tomorrow (Thursday) at 11.30am. I'm a little anxious about it to say the least! :? I really want to get the money so I can forget about it. I've had to focus too much on my illnesses for weeks now. If I get the money I'm really gonna celebrate!! :lol:

Anyway, I'd appreciate your thoughts & prayers. I've had a lot of help from this forum - practical advice for the appeal & generally helping me be aware of how my kidney disease effects me (that my symptoms are normal for kidney patients - the opposite of what the doctors have told me over the years!!!). I feel a lot more positive & a lot more like I deserve this money now!! That'll help loads. So thanks all of you. You're fab!!

Hopefully I'll be posting more often after tomorrow is over and done with....

Ali xxx
Hal

Post by Hal »

Good luck tomorrow Ali, hope it all goes well ...

Hal
rubincain

Post by rubincain »

Firstly sorry for any typoes :)

you are in luck sir, I just recently won a claim against the dwp. My kidneys failed a while back and ever since I started dialysis I have had massive fluctuations in my blood pressure which has made it impossible to walk any sort of long distancies, It took me 11 months to get them to admit I was entitled to it and the tribunal only lasted 20 seconds.

From the sparce details you have given its hard to say whether you will get anything or not.

In terms of mobility the golden distance is 50 meters (although the dont quote that), if you cant walk that in one go they will give the the high rate of mobility (around £40 per week), I am not sure what the lower rates of this are awarded specifically for.

In terms of the care component of DLA you will have to prove you cant cook a meal for yourself which includes boiling potatoes etc. Its no good to say you are tired because they will just say get a chair into the kitchen and use it in between all the differant task you need to do to cook a meal. Remember they have a disabled person on the panel and they know what its like to struggle through stuff so no bullshit. If you can cook a meal then you need to prove you can dress yourself, you cant go to the toilet, you cant get into the bath or the bed etc etc. Not being able to hoover, mow the law and go shopping are not considered essential (which is stupid imo but unfortunatly its just the way it is)

Another point to note, if you condition is vague and there arent any particular symptoms they may order you to see a doctor for an examination. In my case they had to do this as the panel had little experiance of kideny faliur so they really werent in aposition to say if my symptoms were realistic. If you feel the appeal isnt going well it may be worth your while asking for a medical. I was in the lucky position of being able to get a backup letter from my renal consultant and my social worker which really helped my case.

Hmm, I think thats enough... You may want to consider wearing loose fitting clothes and dont go bounding in the door at the appeal :p
Last edited by rubincain on Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rubincain

Post by rubincain »

if you want give a full list of your symptoms and I will give you some more detail about what they will be interested in
Doolally

HURRAY!!!

Post by Doolally »

Unbelievable!! In my Disability Living Allowance appeal today I was awarded the highest rate of both mobility and care . How did that happen???!!!!!! I'm in total shock. :o

Thanks to everyone on this site, even if I haven't really had contact with you. Reading all the posts has helped me accept my illness, so I went into the appeal with a much better attitude. Now I'm gonna spend my one year's backdated allowance :!: on spoiling myself and forgetting about being ill for a bit!! Come and visit me in Eastbourne and I'll buy you all a beer (or juice, depending where you stand on the alcohol front!).

From a very shocked, buzzing-on-adrenilin, Ali xx
:D :) :shock: :lol: :P :roll: :D
Mike

Post by Mike »

wow, thats fantastic news!

I'm seeing my social worker on thursday and DLA is one of the things I was going to speak to her about so it gives me some confidence as reading all about the forms and so on is so overwhelming.

anyway you go spoil yourself, by the sounds of it you deserve it

mike :D
Sueleic

Post by Sueleic »

Hi Ali
I am so PLEASED for you!!
I may just take you up on that offer!!!
Take care
Sue
xxxxxxxxxxx
Elaine

Congrats Ali

Post by Elaine »

Congratulations Ali :D gr8 to hear that u have been awarded mobility etc :D Just soo sad that people feel that at times they are being interogated etc!! As if it isn't enough to go throuugh with your illness etc!!

From what I too have experienced the whole system Im sad to say is unfair. We also had similar experiences as uself but was awarded it after talking on fone to decision maker etc after suposidly being turned down initially!

:P best of luck

Elaine :roll: :shock: :lol: