worried/angry/deppresed

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

dexter2415

worried/angry/deppresed

Post by dexter2415 »

hi everybody,
iam not a happy bunny at the moment, i got told on the 13/9/04 that i need dailysis, then was told very little, iam now weighting for an appt for the renal clinic and to see the renal team, who ive been told will answer my questions?but between now and then ive got a head full of questions no answers, apart from what ive found out on the internet myself?
so iam,worried-stressed-confused-and feeling very lost at this moment in time?
any helppers out there?
thank u dexter2415
ALL THE BEST ( TAKE CARE )
Bruce

worried

Post by Bruce »

Dexter:

I hear you--I am about 2 months ahead of you. I got told during the summer that I needed dialysis and it scared me. My neph hooked me up with a nurse educator who came to the house and explained dialysis to me and answered all my questions. (At least the questions I had then, I keep finding more things I don't know.) She explained the differences between hemodialysis and peritoneal and the advantages and disadvantages of each. When I made the decision to do peritoneal dialysis I was set up at my local clinic and trained for several days, given the knowledge and equipment I needed, and sent on my way. My PD nurse gave me her cell number, home number and pager number and told me to call anytme 24/7--and I have.

I found out that dialysis is NOT the end of the world, or even life. People live for years and years on dialysis. It (PD) becomes part of a daily routine and you adjust to this new demand on your life. You'll find yourself with more energy and feeling less tired and being able to do more.

I am just beginning the process of getting on a transplant list and that will be my next series of questions. I am constantly educating myself and trying to keep up with my condition.

Good luck. Keep reading the posts. Keep us up-to-date. Don't be afraid to ask questions and be a pain-in-the-neck to your medical staff and remember: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A STUPID QUESTION.

Bruce
wing

Post by wing »

Hi Dexter.
My experiences were pretty similar to Bruce's and I would agree with what he says about dialysis - the prospect of it is far worse than the reality.
Like most things in life, if you haven't got an option - you just get on with it and assimilate it into your life style fairly quickly.
Feeling depressed about the whole thing, along with feeling afraid and anxious are very natural feelings - you'd be a bit odd if you didn't feel these things when faced with this.
I'm a firm believer in the "knowledge is power" school of thought - the more you know about your condition and your treatment - the fewer surprises!
Ask away on this board. There's bound to be someone who has had a similar experience to you and we all like to throw in our two penny worth, even if we haven't!
Best wishes to you.
You will cope with it.
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

Dexter,

Take a look here:
http://www.nwrkpa.ukf.net/

And perhaps consider getting in touch with them.

See also the links in my sig. Dialysis and the thought of it IS scary but the worries and thought beforehand are actually worse than the actual thing itself.. As others have said you'd be stranger if you DIDN'T worry at all..

Take care. and Bruce is right.. There are NO stupid questions.
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast