Taking transplant medication

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

R30

Taking transplant medication

Post by R30 »

I am shortly to have my transplant (25.10.04) and was wondering how those of you who have had a tx remember to take your medication. Sometimes, even now, I find it difficult to remember to take all my medication during the day (currently on 20 pills per day). As some of my meds interact with one another, it is up to me to remember to leave one hour in between taking my meds - not easy when you are at work.
How do the rest of you cope? I am looking to buy a pill reminder whereby I can set up to 10 different alarms per day (without having to reset) so that this will remind me to take my pills. Do any of you have such a thing and if so, where did you get it from?
I currently have a pill tray split down in to days, but don't remember to open it so that's not solving the problem.
My pharmacist, good though she is, has never heard of pill timers!!!! I find it hard to believe that I can be the only one who has this problem.
Any advice or information you can give me would be much appreciated.
Ruth
Rik

Post by Rik »

Hi Ruth ...
blimey lady TWENTY PILLS A DAY!!!!!!! ... you dont need to eat after that lot!!!!!

my Tx meds are only morning and night ones so its pretty easy to remember because its when I wake up ... and just before I go to bed ... (but I AM a bloke so there are times I STILL forget!!!)
but I'm only on 5 pills in the morning and 2 at night ... not the armful you are on right now ...

cant think of any alarm that has 10 settings per day ... can only think of you trying the reminder setting on your moblie phone if you have one ... you can set as many as you like I think ... the draw back to that is that you have to sit down and either set it up daily for the next day .... or set up a weeks worth in advance maybe??

all the best ruth ... and lookingh forward to your first post after your transplant
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

A quick search on google for Multi Tablet Alarm gave me these:

http://www.diabetesandtravel.com/multibox.html
37 daily alarms

http://www.westons.com/acatalog/Online_ ... s_232.html
are UK based and do a variety.. also do the rare to find tablet cutters:D

If you need more just try searching google.com or google.co.uk for terms like 'tablet timer' or multi pill alarm.

HTH:D
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
Pam

Post by Pam »

Dear Ruth,
First let me say CONGRATULATIONS on the transplant! :D :D It is a very confusing time when your kidney is new and you have all those meds to remember. :roll: I've taken mine for 27 years and still sometimes forget! :roll: :wink: :lol:
When I first began my meds after my tx, I put them into little pill cups (like the kind you get at the hospital) and mounted the cups onto a board with the dosage times printed out next to them. This helped me see if I had missed any doses-if the cups were empty, all the pills had been taken. I know this is hard to do if you are working though. Now, I just put a week's worth of pills into a divided (by days) pill box and set it on the counter where I'll see it. This has helped a lot! Maybe you could try writing your dosage times on a small card and posting it by your desk or work area where you'll see it...you might have to write it on your hand if nothing else works! :roll: :wink:
When you get into the routine of your dosages, remembering your pills will be easier-it will become just a regular part of your day.
You might ask your tx doctor if there are any methods his/her other patients use...we as transplant recipients are a creative lot. I know that everyone who has a tx has forgotten their meds at one time or another!
Best wishes to you and please know my prayers will be with you on your big day!
Love and ((((hugs)))),
Pam
32 yr cadaver transplant recipient, now on peritoneal dialysis with the help of Audrey, my Homechoice machine... as of 4/3/09
Romans 8:28
Andy

Post by Andy »

Congrats on your Tx.
My meds after Tx were going ok for a while as every one was ensuring I took them, then they deicded that they should leave me to it, and there have been days when i have forgotten to take them, or have ended up not being able to take my morning tablets till 4pm when i get in from school. but it does usually work out.
I can remember I was going to stay over my mates house it was to be the first time in 18 months, it was a sudden decision, so i packed my stuff, I had my tablets on my bed with the rest of my stuff, on the way out of my house,my mum my dad and my friend were all asking did i have them!! And I assured them I did!!! But I didnt, i didnt realise until I was just about to get in to bed, So we then had 2 drive home, arriving back at my house at around mid night, and then having to get to sleep and be up for school the next day!!! We did make it, to school the next day.
Every body has different ways of doing it, My friend and I when we are together remind each other and time our tablets by each other- and that doesnt seem to annoy me but as soon as any one else asks me have i taken them, i go mad cos i want to be independant.
Write a post it note and stick it in a place where you are every day- I still havent foun a suitable place for mine, but im thinking may be on my computer screen, as I spend so long here.
May be above your kettle, or on your bath room mirror!
You usually fall into a certain pattern though!!
Good luck
Andy
:-)
We are the way we are, if we werent, I wouldnt be me and you wouldnt be you!

www.lltgl.org.uk
Michele in TN

Post by Michele in TN »

Congratulations on your tx!
For me it hasn't been that hard. I take my cellcept at 6, 2 and ten. My other meds are ten am and ten pm. There really aren't that many for me now that I'm two months out. My center gives a pill case that has Sun through Sat boxes with four spots in each box. I just leave the box of the day on my bedstand or throw it in my purse.
The hardest thing for me is the not eating an hour before or two hours after rule on the cellcept. I've slipped up a couple of times on that one. I was worried about the meds, too but since doing it for two months it has now become a habit.
Michele, 30
Mom to Emily, 11
Wife to Chris
Transplanted 07/29/04
Creatinine 0.9 2/07
stopping prednisone due to severe renal osteodystrophy 11/06