Is this Normal Kidney function (Cont:)

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

kjay1977

Is this Normal Kidney function (Cont:)

Post by kjay1977 »

I'm a 26-year-old professional male; I have been diagnosed with a hypo plastic right kidney (with function ranging between some and non depending upon the physician). The other kidney is apparently fine, however form time to time I have pain in the good kidney, and as of late I have been having foamy urine (which indicates proteinuria), and have been urinating at night to the point of incontinence. I'm currently under treatment with a new Nephro, However I'm not too happy he seems to take a wait and see caviler approach. I have suggested that we run a renal function lab, and 24 hours urine w/albumin scan due to the presence of protein in my urine 2+ and 1+ respectively per my last lab results, however all he suggests is a spot urine collection with protein and creatinine concentration. My other lab values are as follows:

BP ranges from 130/85 (digital) to 110/80 (standard cuff)
PROTEIN TOTAL, QUAL 2+
BUN 16
BUN/CREAT RATIO 13.9
CREAT CLEARANCE 1.1

and

BP ranges from 130/85 (digital) to 110/80 (standard cuff)
PROTEIN TOTAL, QUAL 1+
BUN 16
BUN/CREAT RATIO 17.8
CREAT CLEARANCE 0.9

Now mind you the labs were taken with in one month of each other...

What are the major thoughts per the experts here...? Should an ACE inhibitor be prescribed...?, What about a 24/hr urine over a spot urine check, furthermore what about the albumin, why has he not checked it. To be honest I have seriously considered altering the order to include the extra tests (because I have asked several times for my piece of mind), however he still will not run them...? To make matters worse my cardio seems to think that I may have CHF, due to strange chest pain sensations (however this should have shown-up, per the multiple echo’s, and stress tests. My GF is a nurse and she is concerned via that fact that a problem may exist, and it would be better to stop it before it becomes worse. However, I’m wondering if he wants to prolong this, just in order to keep me coming back to him, I.E. every six months, and so on.

Sincerely,

Perplexed…?

I received new labs results 9/25/04, based a spot and 24 hour urine with creatinine concentration>

Spot Urine:

Bilirubin-Neg
Ketones-Neg
Glucose,qual-Neg
Protein, total, Qual-TRACE
PH 6.5
Protein total rand urine w/ creat- 12 mg/dl
Creat urine-118 mg/dl
protein total random urine 102 mg/g cretinine

24 hour urine with creat concentration:

Total protein mg/dl- 9 mg/dl
Protein total 24 hour urine- 0.14 g/24hrs (high end of normal)
Creatinine, urine-115 mg/dl
Protein, Total, 24 hour urine 78 mg/G creatinine (high end normal <85)
Creat, 24 hr urine 1.78 g/24hrs
Creat serum 1.1 mg/dl
Creat clerance 112 ml/min
Creat urine 115 mg/dl

Ok, my thoughts here is that a problem does exist mainly via the fact that my protein is towards the high end of normal. In most people w/o renal problems protein should not escape into the urine. My doctor believes this is fine, should we start preventative therapy...?

Perplexed
Hal

Post by Hal »

Hi,

0.14g of protein is a very small amount. However, you are right - it could/should be lower.

Is your doctor a nephrologist ? If not see one to ease your worries. If he is, consider getting a second opinion to be sure ?

I cannot advise if you should be looking at preventative therapy (in fact no one other than your doctor can really advise what medication or treatment you should or should not be taking / having).

Regards,

Hal.