PD cycler machine question

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

amanda in CA

PD cycler machine question

Post by amanda in CA »

Hi, it turns out my machine was never set up with certain alarms which can only be accessed via the Nurse Menu. My PD nurse didn't even seem to know about a nurse menu when I asked her which is a bit worrying since you would expect her to know! Thing is, I can't get to the unit until the day after tomorrow to get the alarms set up. I had three incomplete drains followed by a fill over the last few nights. Each time I woke up feeling like a sausage lying there (I was so full of fluid around the middle), and finding it difficult to breathe normally since I can only assume that my lungs were probably nearly finding themselves pushed out of my mouth. On one occasion I drained 4.5 litres of fluid (my fill vol. is 2.5 litres and that makes me feel pretty full). Thing is, does anyone on a Home Choice (not a Home choice pro) machine know how to 'break into' the nurses menu since I don't really want a repeat performance over the next couple of nights? Thank you in advance for your replies. amanda
Michele in TN

Post by Michele in TN »

I was using Fresinius Newton but had a very detailed and easy to follow user's mannual with instructions on how to change all of my alarms, clocks, setting, etc. I know to get to the master menu I would have to hold two buttons at once.
Hth some.
Michele, 30
Mom to Emily, 11
Wife to Chris
Transplanted 07/29/04
Creatinine 0.9 2/07
stopping prednisone due to severe renal osteodystrophy 11/06
Hal

Post by Hal »

Hi Amanda,

Sorry you are having trouble :(

I know you said you don't have a HomeChoice Pro, but is the Nurses Menu button definitely not the same as the Pro ?

Just in case, to get to the Nurses Menu on the Pro, with the machine turned off hold your finger down to the left of the Green Circle button on the front (as if there were another button next to it).

Then turn the machine on and keep your finger pressed down. After a few seconds the machine will beep a couple of times and take you to the Nurses Menu.

Hope this helps. Good luck,

Hal.
amanda in CA

Post by amanda in CA »

thanks Hal. I searched everywhere yesterday for a button and I had an idea that there was one where you said even though I couldn't see it, I thought that I could feel it but didn't know how to activate it. I will give it a try. thanks, Amanda
LadySycamore

Post by LadySycamore »

I have a Home Choice, and I've never heard of the Nurses Menu.
Dialyze.org:
http://dialyze.org/forums/index.php
Chatroom, Support, Advocacy and more!

Dialyze.org MemberGroup on MSN:
http://groups.msn.com/Dialyze-orgMember ... sages.msnw
amanda in CA

Post by amanda in CA »

Hi, Lady Sycamore, the Nurses Menu is supposed to be only programmed by the nurse so they make sure that you don't know about it, hence the button being hidden. If you look in your patient manual for the Home Choice there is a section that tells you what is set in the Nurse Menu. However, unless you should never need to change the setting if it has been set up correctly in the first place although there are default settings that are factory set anyway. My problem was that I have quite a high UF and so if I wasn't draining out some and then filling I was ending up pretty full and uncomortable. Nonetheless, Hal is right. It worked when I did what he said and I have now changed my drain setting to 90%.